|Sho Baraka / Narrative, The|
|Add Date:||2017-02-01|| ||Pull Date:||2017-04-05|| ||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||2 Apr||19 Mar||12 Mar||26 Feb|
Sho Baraka/The Narrative/Columbia|
Sho Baraka is an exceptional talent and activist. These qualities (along with his wit and humor) are showcased very well on this release, The Narrative. Socially conscious lyrics over some pretty funky, soulful beats and melodies on many tracks, which he then combines with other tracks more jazzy in nature (think Digible Planets) to create an album that will not only make you think, but make you bob your head a little too. Live instrumentation really creates a warm sound. Favorite tracks include: 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 10, 13 &14.Reviewed by Dan of LJH.
*1. 5:59 - Slow tempo. Electric guitar, drums - jazzy feel, reflective composition. Changes in volume of instrumentation keeps the ear attentive. Nice guest vocal samples and a stirring poem at the end of this song.
*2. 2:57 - Med. Tempo. Upbeat jazzy drums, horns, electric guitar, bass guitar. Funky vocal samples.
3. 5:26 - Med temp. Gospel style piano intro and chorus, then breaks into an anthemic, upbeat feel - truncated drums, piano, and Jackie Hill Perry!
4. 3:20 - Med/fast tempo. Big band/old jazz intro - carried by horns, drums, pianos. A little humorous song dedicated to Sho's love for his wife. Nice vocal samples and hook.
*5. 5:27 - Med/fast tempo. Piano, horns, drums. Guest emcee Lecrae.
6. 3:58 - Med/fast tempo. Carried by bass & drums, female vocal samples and male vocals on hook. Horns added. Very funky melody and feel.
*7. 3:55 - Med tempo. Elec Piano, drums with heavy reverb and vocal samples carry the melody and give a more serious feel to song. Male vocals on hook.
*8. 5:13 - Slow/med tempo. Eerie female vocals complimented by jazzy drums and a sine type production effect carry this melody. Contemplative joint, with dope [male] vocals on the hook.
9. 5:09 - Med tempo. Opens with harmonica type sounds, then goes trap a little with heavy drums, truncated snares and bass guitar.
*10. 4:51 - Med/fast tempo. Jazzy - bass guitar, drums and electric guitar and electric piano.
11. 4:38 - Slow/med tempo. Electric piano, electric guitar and truncated, jazzy drums. A history lesson.
12. 4:39 - Slow tempo. Piano intro, with pained screams and crying in background. Soft drums slowly enter and help carry the verses, joined by bass guitar and distant electric piano playing single chords. One cuss word on here ('damn').
*13. 5:00 - Med Tempo. Electric piano, regular piano and jazz drums.
*14. 4:44 - Slow tempo. Piano, drums, vocal samples.
|1.||Foreward, 1619|| ||8.||Maybe Both, 1865|
|2.||Soul, 1971|| ||9.||Excellent, 2017|
|3.||Kanye, 2009|| ||10.||Road To Humble, 1979|
|4.||Love, 1959|| ||11.||Myhood, U.S.A., 1937|
|5.||Here, 2016|| ||12.||Words, 2006|
|6.||30 & Up, 1986|| ||13.||Fathers, 2004|
|7.||Profhet, 1968|| ||14.||Piano Break, 33 A.D.|