|Brian Jonestown Massacre, The / Don't Get Lost|
|Add Date:||2017-03-28|| ||Pull Date:||2017-05-30|| |
|Week Ending:||23 Apr||16 Apr||9 Apr||2 Apr|
Don’t Get Lost is the Brian Jonestown Massacre’s 16th LP. Psych with some new textures from jazz, garage, surf. Not an especially cohesive record and it seems like Anton Newcombe tried to add a lot of experimental flairs to make up for that. That being said, there are a number of gems here that make this worth playing. (Also, excellent track names per usual.)|
Related: Spiritualized, Wooden Shjips, Psychic Ills
1. (8:15) *** Open Minds Now Close—Droning kraut, hazy vocals.
2. (3:52) *** Melody’s Actual Echo Chamber—Elements of surf and reggae. Killer bass groove.
3. (4:03) ** Resist Much Obey Little—Thick driving acoustic guitars, somewhat dark, tortured.
4. (3:00) * Charmed I’m Sure—Pleasant bassy ambient track. No vocals.
5. (4:43) ** Groove is in the Heart—Distant winds and slowly pounding drums. Heavy distortion.
6. (7:11) One Slow Breath—Slow, elegiac in an off-kilter way. Mostly piano and strings, some spoken word vocals.
7. (6:24) Throbbing Gristle—Loud, heavy noise rock. Vocals sound like Kim Gordon.
8. (6:35) ** Fact 67—Super minimal, sort of Depeche Mode. Loud bass, clear guitar picking.
9. (6:32) **** Dropping Bombs on the Sun—Uplifting, cosmic. Tess Parks on vocals. Classic Brian Jonestown.
10. (4:09) ** UFO Paycheck—Spacey intro quickly builds to loud drums, ominous synths/guitars. Reminds me a little of The Kills.
11. (3:28) ** Geldenes Herz Menz—Relaxed acid jazz. Bit of a detour but I love it.
12. (5:27) Acid 2 Me is No Worse Than War—Super weird funk dance thing, swirling synths, chaotic.
13. (3:37) Nothing New to Trash Like You—Plodding, more of a garage feel. Uplifting shouts.
14. (4:48) Ich Bin Klang—Charming female voices in German. Reminds me of Kiki Hitomi. Like a nightmare in which an army of dolls is trying to kill you.