|R. Ring / Ignite The Rest|
|Add Date:||2017-06-21|| ||Pull Date:||2017-08-23|| |
|Week Ending:||27 Aug||20 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||9 Jul||2 Jul|
Ignite The Rest is the debut album by Dayton, Ohio’s R. Ring. R. Ring is the latest project of beloved Kelley Deal of The Breeders and Mike Montgomery of Ampline. Without underestimating the band’s original intentions, this album sounds a lot like a Breeders record and there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, I really appreciate that since there hasn’t been new Breeders music in years. The last official Breeders record is their 2009 EP, Fate To Fatal and several killer singles Kim Deal released through her website here and there. If we compare Ignite The Rest to The Breeders’ catalog, it sounds like a combination between the classic lushness of their 1991 debut album Pod and the energy of their 2008 underrated album Mountain Battles. Chances are I’m drivin’ on 9 overglazed and too alive from head to toe to see the glorious safari.|
RIYL: The Breeders, The Amps, The Kelley Deal 6000, Kim Deal and The War On Drugs.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 12
1. (2:06) ***Cutter – Sounds like a lost B-side from Last Splash. Slow/fast tempo. Just breathless.
2. (2:29) **Loud Underneath – Medium-up tempo piece. From The Breeders school of rock. Great vocals.
3. (1:51) *Singing Tower – Slow, semi-acoustic composition. Mysterious. Perfect complement to Mountain Battles.
4. (2:41) **100 Dollar Heat – Another slow recording. Exquisite and quite personal.
5. (3:02) Unwinds – Slow tempo piece. Whispery vocals accompanied by organ sounds. Dense.
6. (1:30) Flies – Channeling Title TK here. Slow tempo.
7. (2:08) ***Salt – More of the classic Breeders sound here. Medium-up tempo. Pure magic.
8. (2:42) **Fallout And Fire – Another slow composition constructed using The Breeders blueprints.
9. (3:37) ***Elder Orphans In Heavy Chop – Strange slow track that navigates between The Breeders and Kelley Deal 6000 music territory. Simply beautiful.
10. (2:08) You Will Be Buried Here – Quiet, mysterious and brief.
11. (2:53) Steam – Slow acoustic track. Part Iron & Wine, part Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy. Nice complement.
12. (1:53) **SEE – Medium tempo. Part The Breeders, part The War On Drugs. Melancholic.