|Add Date:||2017-06-21|| ||Pull Date:||2017-08-23|| |
|Week Ending:||16 Jul||9 Jul||2 Jul||25 Jun|
Fake Sugar is the debut album by ex-Gossip singer, Beth Ditto. This is the most polished version of the different sound incarnations Beth Ditto has ever experimented through with (The) Gossip and as a soloist. And are all here in this album – garage, disco, 1970s classic rock, electroclash, late 20th century rock ballads, and contemporary dance pop. Fake Sugar might sound eclectic and saturated but it works due to its sophisticated construction highlighting Beth Ditto’s startling vocals with appealing riffs, beats, and melodies. Fake Sugar reminds me of music artists like Bat For Lashes and Feist are producing these days: personal, resourceful, and hard to classify.|
RIYL: Grace Jones, Etta James, Bat For Lashes, Gossip and label Kill Rock Stars.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9
1. (3:11) ***Fire – Guitar driven rocker with a slow first minute and 120 seconds of pure Beth Ditto magic. Electro blues for everyone.
2. (3:42) In And Out – Slow/medium-up tempo electro pop track. 1980s pop forever.
3. (3:31) *Fake Sugar – Another slow/medium-up tempo recording with touches of Americana and contemporary R&B. Solid.
4. (3:39) **Savoir Faire – Medium-up tempo electro pop song. Sticky.
5. (3:31) We Could Run – Another slow/medium-up tempo pop rock track. Dramatic.
6. (3:46) **Oo La La – Medium-up electro blues recording with a great attitude and melody. One my favorites in Fake Sugar.
7. (3:05) *Go Baby Go – Slow/medium-up tempo electro pop tune. Great vocals.
8. (4:46) Oh My God – Guitar riff, medium tempo, intense vocals. Very 1980s pop.
9. (4:05) *Love In Real Life – Slow pop ballad. The 1980s influence continues. Stevie Nicks would be proud.
10. (3:09) Do You Want Me To – Medium-up tempo electro pop song. Catchy.
11. (3:38) Lover – Another pop ballad. Feels very 2008 electro pop.
12. (2:32) Clouds (Song For John) – Slow track. Some synths accompanying the vocals.