|Add Date:||2017-10-22|| ||Pull Date:||2017-12-24|| |
|Week Ending:||12 Nov||5 Nov||29 Oct|
|Sam I Am|
Citizen // As You Please: One of the Album Of The Years for me! Alternative rock with some post-hardcore tendencies. A bit of an early 2000’s alt rock vibe on a lot of songs too. Some consider Citizen’s debut album “Youth” to be their best but imo, this is better. Much more mature lyrically, the arrangements are more creative and varied. The breakdowns in this album are amazing!|
FCC CLEAN. Recommended: 2, 4, 6, 10, 11, 12 RIYL: Balance And Composure, Pianos Become The Teeth, Breaking Benjamin, You Blew It!
1. Jet (3:44) Thumping drums, grungey bass, anger filled chorus, very typical Citizen track.
2. In The Middle of It All (4:17)*** Fav track! Vocals in between verses are very gospel-like, this chorus is SO catchy, less anger and more melody here, trippy ending with a hint of post-rock drone.
3. As You Please (4:13) Pounding drums in verses, slower in tempo, a bit one-note until it picks up in the middle with heavy hitting post-hardcore guitars and drops again to more pounding drums.
4. Medicine (4:13)** That early 2000’s alt rock vibe shines here, the vocalist’s signature delivery through gritted teeth is prevalent, REALLY heavy breakdown with shouting vocals.
5. Ugly Luck (4:00) One of the more “happy” sounding songs, a little poppy in the chorus, ends to an organ drone.
6. World (3:44)* Verses build to a loud, rocking chorus, “ooh”-ing vocal effects in the background.
7. Fever Days (3:35) Acoustic arpeggio cut short by fuzzy bass, acoustic guitars mix with slamming guitars in the chorus.
8. Control (3:57) More melancholic and subdued post-hardcore sound here, restrained compared to other tracks. Cool dual guitar solo in bridge!
9. Discrete Routine (3:45) Piano, softer vocals, another slow song. Gets more interesting in bridge but a little boring overall.
10. I Forgive No One (4:07)*** This song goes SO HARD. My other fav. Dropped bass, fuzzy vocal effects, howling yell in the chorus. Amazing, unexpected shoe-gazey breakdown before the howls hit you in the face again. Play this!!
11. You Are A Star (4:13)* Hand drums in some parts, single note emo guitars over repetitive lyrics until an awesome post-rock bridge.
12. Flowerchild (4:36)** Soft and acoustic until the middle where the anger builds up, driving guitars to a wall of sound in the bridge. This song is a great closer and is almost like a summary of the sounds of the entire album.
Sam I Am.