|Add Date:||2017-11-26|| ||Pull Date:||2018-01-28|| |
|Week Ending:||14 Jan||7 Jan||31 Dec||24 Dec||17 Dec||10 Dec||3 Dec|
Adult Mom, Soft Spots|
reviewed by amy cummings
Consistently as beautiful as past Adult Mom release Momentary Lapse of Happily though maybe a little less catchy. Mostly warm guitar/bass, some non-intrusive percussion, keyboard. Topics in the lyrics are gender, love, intimacy, heartbreak, identity.
RIYL: Frankie Cosmos, Florist, crying quietly in bed.
FCC: 2?(see notes),7,8.
Recommended: All. Start with 3,5,6,9
1. Ephemeralness (02:40): acoustic and a little moody, a pretty intro song but low energy until it picks up a little bit at the end. “If you feel like nothing, I’ll tell you that you are something and you’ll believe me instead.”
2. Full Screen (02:37): FCC??? This song is amazing, probably my favorite on the album, but opens with the line “Do you full-screen your porn? Do you think about me as you watch her crawl across the floor?” It’s an awesome song about love and sex and gender, but maybe not suitable for more conservative audiences.
3. J Station (02:32): Opens with a steady drumbeat, nice and upbeat but the lyrics are about sadly drunk calling your ex and getting robbed so :/
4. Patience (03:50): Beginning has a quick cut of some friends talking. Pleasant but you’ll probably cut it off if you crossfade in. Nice slow jam about a friendship/relationship with someone who just gets you.
5. *Tenderness (02:11): A sweet and upbeat song about love and trying to treat each other well.
6. *Same (03:16): This is a beautiful but sad song looking back on past trauma and the process of healing. Slow, very simple guitar and vocals with a bit of synth coming later on. Play this song if you’re doing a sad show :(
7. [FCC warning given by label, but I’m not sure what they’re flagging it for] Steal The Lake From The Water (03:04): Another song about trauma, but this one is angrier and seems to be a fight back song, either to an abuser or to perceptions around victimhood.
8. [FCC: “fucking”] Drive Me Home (03:11): A nice strumming, drumming, layered song. A song about retreating and gender stuff.
9. *First Day of Spring (02:55): This gorgeous song is as much about the first day of spring after a long winter as it is about the first happy day out of a long spell of dark ones, and seeing if you’re ready to get back to how things used to be.