|Add Date:||2018-03-19|| ||Pull Date:||2018-05-21|| |
|Week Ending:||20 May||13 May||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr||8 Apr||1 Apr|
Melbourne indie pop-rock duo are back with their third full-length release. Husky Gawenda (lead vocals, guitar) and Gideon Preiss (keys, vocals) continue to build from their folky beginnings to incorporate synthesizers and a variety of electronic sounds and effects on this solid 10-song set. Some really excellent tracks in this cohesive collection of music. RIYL: Fleet Foxes, Crosby, Stills & Nash’s harmonies, ethereal feeling of The War on Drugs, even some psychedelic bands such as Pink Floyd.
Recommended: 1, 4, 2, 7, 10, 9. No FCCs noted.
1. (3:26) Ghost — Warm and welcoming, melodic pulsing synth pop-rock. Soothing, mellow vocals. Catchy choruses. ****
2. (3:41) Shark Fin — Frenetic, Flashdance-like electronic drum beats under jangly guitar riffs. Cool harmonies in lead break. ***
3. (3:52) Punchbuzz — Slower tempo. Liquid synths over shimmering synth strings. Intriguing rhythm built on plucked bass and drums.
4. (4:02) Late Night Store — Light and crisp, with changes of pace and plenty of hooks. Taut, chirpy synths. Stop-and-go rhythm. Magnetic hooks. ****
5. (5:32) Cut the Air — Spooky feeling with fingerpicked guitar and fleeting synth arpeggios that float into the atmosphere. Builds into a light prog-psyche sound.
6. (3:46) Splinters in the Fire — Synth pop-folk with strummy and jangly guitars, and electronic effects flickering in counterpoint.
7. (4:04) Walking in your Sleep — A nod to Fleetwood Mac in its opening guitar licks and bass and drum pattern. Breezy vocals. Bell-like keys. 1970s feeling. ***
8. (4:09) Cracks in the Pavement — Fingerpicked guitar. Brooding harmonies. Eerie minor keys throughout.
9. (3:46) Flower Drum — Bright and upbeat with a groovy, drum-heavy vibe somewhere between the 1960s and today. Hazy, mesmerizing synths. Fun clacking and clapping. ***
10. (4:27) Spaces Between Heartbeats — Experimental and ethereal. Warped synths rise, fall and swirl over a vaguely Caribbean rhythm. Moody lyrics about lovers on a beach. References to ghosts tie this closing song to the album opener. Nice! ***