|Naked Sun, The / War With Shadows|
|Add Date:||2018-04-29|| ||Pull Date:||2018-07-01|| |
|Week Ending:||1 Jul||24 Jun||17 Jun||10 Jun||3 Jun||27 May||20 May||13 May|
“War With Shadows” The Naked Sun|
Large, indie folk-rock/Americana band from Philadelphia that sometimes veers close to alt-country territory. Debut album was produced by Brian McTear, who also produces The War on Drugs and Kurt Vile. Primary instruments are guitars (acoustic, electric and pedal steel), bass, Hammond and Wurlitzer organ, and electric piano — with strings on occasion. Early reviews have labeled the guitar-driven rock as “restrained and subtle, but at the same time, warm, honest and genuine.” RIYL: The War on Drugs, Kurt Vile, Tom Petty, My Morning Jacket.
Recommended: 3, 1, 4, 8, 10. FCC on Track 9 (“piss”).
1. (6:06) Do You Wanna Dance? — Strummed acoustic guitar, with airy organ over a solid backbeat. Jangle added later. Nice guitar solo in lead break. ****
2. (4:57) Burke Hollow — Honky-tonk piano and pedal steel guitar. Very Tom Petty.
3. (5:11) Holdin’ Back The Heart — Crunchy guitars, stop-n-go rhythm, wistful vocals with some falsetto. Rich harmonies. ****
4. (4:08) Rose Gold — Piano-based mid-tempo alt-country sway with harmonica and nice male-female lead vocals. ***
5. (6:16) Lizard Brain — Melancholy ballad. Strummed acoustic and heavily reverbed electric guitars, plus electric piano. Builds to a bigger ending.
6. (3:40) War With Shadows — Bouncy and fun number with a nice beat, piano and guitar riffs. Pedal steel guitar adds an alt-country flavor.
7. (3:22) Snail Mail — Sad and sentimental song with female lead vocals and lots of pedal steel cryin’.
8. (5:09) Purple Sunset — Fingerpicked chimey guitar — plus jangly guitar and piano. Shifts between softer, more introspective moments and harsher, more driving sections. Lyrics about friends lost to heroin addiction. ***
9. (4:08) Jellyfish — Up-tempo rock with jangly guitar and a strong solo in lead break. FCC: “piss” (twice)
10. (4:28) Clouds — Nice interplay between guitars (acoustic, electric and pedal steel), piano, cello, and drums. Uplifting closer. ***