|Beths, The / Future Me Hates Me|
|Add Date:||2018-09-09|| ||Pull Date:||2018-11-11|| |
|Week Ending:||11 Nov||4 Nov||28 Oct||21 Oct||14 Oct||7 Oct||30 Sep||23 Sep|
A really enjoyable album from this New Zealand indie pop rock band that can hang with the likes of Alvvays or Courtney Barnett. The songs are energetic and bright with cool guitar riffs, percussive bursts of strength, fun female vox and catchy lyrics that you could dance along to. Play any track off this one and you won’t be disappointed.|
RIYL: Alvvays, soccer mommy, courtney barnett
Favorites: 1, 2, 7, 8, 10
FCC: none detected
1. *“Great No One” (3:22) up-tempo, strong start to the album! Reminds me of an angsty but bright pop punk song that’d be featured in a teen movie about geeks.
2. *“Future Me Hates Me” (4:05) Distinctly more rock band-y sounds come out but still cheerful! Tryna avoid some heartbreak in the future! What a great tune!
3. “Uptown Girl” (2:31) fast, a bit grittier, goes by in a flash
4. “You Wouldn’t Like Me” (3:32) more low key with bursts of angsty energy
5. “Not Running” (3:51) Up-tempo defiant jam. Chorus of dudes pop in toward the end.
6. “Little Death” (4:54) light and airy while still and powerful
7. *“Happy Unhappy” (3:29) fast and cheery, beachy, summery, energetic
8. **“River Run: Lvl 1” (4:06) starts off slower than the others then builds, pleading, a bit of a change of pace compared to the other tracks
9. “Whatever” (4:24) med-up tempo sweet, cheeky, flippant
10. *“Less Than Thou” (4:17) Starts simple then builds up quickly, strong close to the album. Fade out around 3:48, as the rest is silent then some random guitar tuning sounds.