|Johansen, Kevin & the Nada / Sur O no Sur|
|Add Date:||2004-02-16|| ||Pull Date:||2004-04-19|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||25 Apr||18 Apr||11 Apr||4 Apr||28 Mar||21 Mar||14 Mar||7 Mar|
He’s lived in Alaska, New York, Spain, and Argentina, and it shows. Part pop, a bit salsa, kinda jazzy and very hard to define. With lyrics in Spanish and/or in English, it’s a fun little blend of influences and a very un-pretentious release w/ lots of humor. He’s got a pleasant voice and is backed by an equally talented band. It’s unusual and it’s all good. But in the interest of space, I’ll only highlight the following (but you can just play anything...)|
1. Mid-tempo w/an infectious groove.
2. Interesting blend of lounge laze and relaxed pop.
3. Quirky w/mostly spoken lyrics & a light bandoneon accent.
5. A light & sweet little love song.
6. Lazy, folksy, jazzy, and odd. Fun.
7. Sleepy zone-out folk love ode in English.
8. Instrumental ode to James Brown w/glockenspiel yet!
12. Guitar, vocals, perc, flute. Down/mid tempo w/a nice flair.
13. Low-key guitar/vocal Serge Gainsbourg cover in French.
17. Bright & fun w/nice use of strings, bandoneon.
18. Self-described “hip pop” w/a touch of funk.
20. Spoken word (w/a great male vox). No clue what he’s saying.