|Frank & Joe Show, the / 33 1/3|
|Add Date:||2004-07-19|| ||Pull Date:||2004-09-19|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||19 Sep||5 Sep||29 Aug||15 Aug||8 Aug||1 Aug||25 Jul|
THE FRANK & JOE SHOW: “33 1/3”|
Fun, fun, fun! A delightful set of high-octane guitar-based Gypsy Swing à la Django Reinhardt, but I detect the spirits of western swing, Fellini soundtracks, Saturday morning cartoons and god knows what else lurking in here, too. Not all fabulous, but very few let-downs. If you want to be intellectual, look elsewhere. This is just good old, good-time, good swingin’ music.
Frank Vignola=guitar, Joe Ascione=percussion.
Fo’s Picks: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
1. cute ‘n’ perky swing classic with a Latin rhythm
2. slow c&w ballad w/fem vocal, tempo explodes in the middle
3. classic Latin shuffle; okay, but I wanted more
4. fingerbusting guitar take on a Mozart theme
5. lazy “Sheik of Araby,” with vocals by Dr. John!
6. very cool Spanish / No. African flavored jam, infectious backing riff
7. sultry Latin ballad, vocals by Jane Monheit
8. theme from the 1970s “Spiderman” cartoon! Very fast but cool-toned.
9. bouncy island take on old ballad, would make a nice soundbed
10. slightly funky guitar & percussion jam, think Béla Fleck
11. sappy slow-dance ballad, unfortunately the longest track
12. Flight of the Bumblebee: fast & furious
13. very relaxed tempo: a classic ballad, well treated
[ Fo ] – 7/2004