Excellent compilation from Boise, Idaho label. Varied genres, can of worms, each track flirting with the out-there aspect of music making. Challenging, entertaining, interesting, home baked. The Deerhoof track is the most straightforward one here. Checkout the notes about every track on the back, too. Play anything, but if you ask me, the best are the more experimental tracks. |
Start with: 4, 13, 14, 17, 6, 9 and for something more resembling a "song": 7, 8, 10, 12, 15.
FCC: 7, 9 (very end of track), 10(?).
1. Indie rock, mid/fast, jangly, raw.
2. Indie rock, short, slow/med creepy vox, jangly, interesting.
3. A slow, quiet Deerhoof number.
4. ** Experimental, instrumental. Chimes, bass, cello, beautiful collage. **
5. German hardcore, fast and loud.
6. * Experimental, noise alternates with synthesized gongs, both morph into something else. *
7. * [FCC “shit”, barely understandable] Mellow bizarre rock – heavy muted strum, dreamy hushed vox. Like a screwed up Radiohead cover. *
8. *Like a Beatles track gone horribly wrong. Really, truly, horribly wrong. Cool. *
9. * [FCC, can play if fading out the last few seconds] Experimental/sample art, industrial beat, weird synths, great. FCC “Fuck” at the end, kill at –0:10 when track fades out. *
10. * Hardcore, mid tempo, interesting, rich, wow. Possible FCC at –1:35, too screamish to tell. *
11. Collage of whispers, voices, sounds.
12. * Female lethargic dramatic vox over noise, percussion, explodes with guitar and electroclash and hardcore crazy! written before 9/11. *
13. ** Minimal distorted quiet piano piece, with crunching industrial samples, heartbreaking. **
14. ** Experimental, live electronica/rock. Starts with electronic noise. Bass points way out of the mess. Guitar finally joins in distorted, jangly tune. **
15. * Brave indie rock. Vox spit out words, monotone guitar, loud chorus. *
16. Noise, tower bells, loud. Ends abruptly.
17. ** Sample art, experimental noise. Synthesized sounds, hypnothic collage, something played backwards. Drum beat joins, a voice appears, dramatic guitar. **