Apache Indian – Time for a Change (Karmasound)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 4/24/06
The original Indian reggae/bhangra/dancehall rap star. Apache Indian probably needs no introduction by now. Hot production means that some of the tracks (with no stars) are a bit TOO slick and top-40 potential, but the rest are total fucking ear candy.
FCC – track 11 (arg! That’s such a fun track, too!) I like 4 and 11 best, but everything with two stars is great, too.
1. **very, very bouncy version of the classic number, with a touch of Bhangra dhol drumming and Apache’s take on the hard times theme.
2. Midtempo bounce with “r&b” female vocals balanced by a rap about the ups and downs of love. (I hate the female vocals)
3. *Electronic bloops and bhangra riddim. Slightly downtempo, mostly rap, less annoying singers.
4. ***Strong downtempo electronic beat, a bit of classical Indian tune and tabla, interesting rap. Nice combination!
5. **Fun midtempo reggae beat, Luciano sings and Apache raps – Rasta lyrics, sweet sound.
6. **Bouncy midtempo reggae, cool rap with strong message.
7. **Another strong midtempo reggae beat with horns and really fun production, another cool message rap.
8. Acoustic guitar and singing – a bit cloying, IMO, but heartfelt.
9. **Downtempo dancehall stylee, nice bounce and rap.
10. *Midtempo electronic dance beat, but cool, guest rappers. Sparce electronic musical base, hip hop elements.
11. ***Sitar and bhangra beat, downtempo, fun riddim and production, dance groove – this is fun shit! FCC at 1:33 – “Fuck”....
12. Hip hop chick vocals, insistent midtempo beat with flute. MTV Raps material.
13. **Midtempo bhangra-dance bounce. Fun.
14. *Downtempo bhangra electronica with guest Indian (male) vocalist. Basically British dance-hall bhangra.
15. *Midtempo electronic dance bounce with atmospheric interludes.
16. Slightly downtempo bloopy electronic dance – nice beat, but a bit commercial production and backup vocals.
17. **Downtempo and relaxed reggae beat, Indian vocals and religious chant, nice message rap – Tsuanmi Charity single. Sweet and pretty.
18. *Downtempo electronic reggae with some classical Indian singing – very chill, sincere vocals.
19. **Remix of track one, less bouncy.