|Add Date:||2007-05-27|| ||Pull Date:||2007-07-29|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||29 Jul||15 Jul||8 Jul||1 Jul||3 Jun|
Mana – I Be Hawaiian|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/23/07
Very political Hawaiian reggae. Much better than most Hawaiian reggae, which seems to be mostly sappy love songs. Lots of freedom songs, a few personal songs. Mana (which is a widespread term denoting spiritual strength) has a very nice voice, although a lot of the music and vocals are a bit commercial-sounding for my tastes. However, there are a lot of really strong, worthwhile songs.
No FCCs noted. Track 14 is best, 7, 11 and 13 are good too.
1. 3:15 *slow intro with very unhappy woman talking about Hawaiian oppression. Downtempo skank. Need a revolution lyrics.
2. 4:09 *midtempo electronic dancehall/skank, Hawaiian pride/bum dem lyrics.
3. 4:07 **midtempo, syncopated electronic dancehall, sad story about crystal meth abuse – apparently a huge problem in Hawaii, as it appears on most CDs.
4. 4:05 **downtempo and subdued roots skank, strong Hawaiian socio-political lyrics.
5. 4:54 *midtempo skank, more Hawaiian socio-politics. Frankly rather generic music, but strong message.
6. 3:58 downbeat, subdued music, sad personal song about divorce.
7. 3:25 ***short chanted intro, midtempo skank, strong lyrics and delivery. Abrupt ending.
8. 4:11 **strong midtempo roots skank, diatribe against musical plagiarism. Startlingly pretty bit of acoustic guitar.
9. 3:29 midtempo commercial riddim, some female vocals, wedding song for his wife. Sweet, and totally not my bag...
10. 4:01 **midtempo electronic dancehall skank, freedom song.
11. 3:14 ***very pretty midtempo roots skank – sweet, but not cloying. Should be naughty, but it isn’t.
12. 3:44 **hard midtempo electronic dancehall skank, rather “R&B” lyrics and delivery.
13. 4:10 ***midtempo roots skank, Hawaiian freedom lyrics.
14. 3:45 ****midtempo roots skank, a bit subdued but strong music, freedom lyrics.
15. 4:00 VERY slow and relaxed acoustic guitar, song about family and loss.