|Lifesavas / Gutterfly: The Original Soundtrack|
|Add Date:||2007-08-26|| ||Pull Date:||2007-10-28|| ||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||14 Oct||7 Oct||30 Sep||23 Sep||16 Sep||9 Sep||2 Sep|
Brassy-Funky Ensemble Hip-Hop. Hailing from Portland, Oregon (aka Razorblade City on the album) Vursatyl, Shines, and Jumbo bring a funky music and narrative to this soundtrack for a movie that doesn’t exist. A “concept album” laden with guests, different personas, and catchy beats and hooks, the album runs the gamut from slow jams to club bangers. A lot of different influences and hip-hop artists are reflected in the music. Note the tracks with skits at the end.
FCC: 3 (possibly “shit” around min 4), 11
1. Intro track, not a song.
**2. Catchy song reminiscent of The Roots or Jurassic 5. ENDS WITH 17 secs of noise.
**3. Great slow hook with faster verse over chill brassy beat.
4. Laid back slow jam with another good hook. ENDS WITH 30 secs of SKIT.
*5. Fast, pounding beats and rhymes. Redundant, but solid. ENDS W/ 25 secs of voice.
6. Slower soul beat with quick, steady lyrics.
7. Darker track, medium pace. Sounds like an interim track. ENDS W/ 30 secs of SKIT
8. Slower track with a group chorus. Dark reggae vibe. ENDS W/ 5 secs of voice.
9. Fairly mediocre, redundant track. Some interesting lyrics and beats.
*10. Sounds haunted: great track, cool beats and versatile lyrics. ENDS W/ 17 of SKIT
11. FCC: (“fuck, derogative “nigger”) Very soulful and more direct narrative than other tracks. Racist Cop theme. ENDS W/ 15 secs of SKIT.
12. Another slower, darker track. Sounds out of character—political themes and doesn’t follow the plotline of the album. Good hook and steady beat.
13. Soul, love song. Sounds like a Tupac track.
*14. Up-tempo beats and rhymes about freedom. ENDS W/ 30 secs of SKIT.
*15. Finale: fast, beat and hook with “celebration” feel to it. ENDS W/ 15 secs of SKIT.
16. HIDDEN SKIT—not music.
17. HIDDEN TRACK – Interesting beat, slower MF Doom sounding lyrics. A lot more DJ scratching than on any other track.
Reviewed By Jon Witz