|Various Artists / Live At The Monterey Jazz Festival: Highlights, Vol. 1|
|Add Date:||2007-09-09|| ||Pull Date:||2007-11-11|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||11 Nov||21 Oct||14 Oct||7 Oct||30 Sep||23 Sep||16 Sep|
As the festival approaches its 50th anniversary, they give us a present with this selection of classic performances (never before released) recorded live throughout the history of the event. Superstars at the top of their game include Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, and others. Excellent! One star every track.|
1. :28 seconds of Dizzy introducing Satchmo. Can lead into #2.
2. Slow, classic New Orleans w/that distinctive voice. So smooth...
3. Muted horn, cool piano/bass/perc. A tight, swinging arrangement.
4. Slow, dreamy piano – thoughtful fem vocals. Simple & sad.
5. Tripping piano bop w/a playful, unpredictable flair. Yow!
6. Downtempo blues w/heartfelt vox/guitar. Greasy & good.
7. Disney classic w/alternating rhythms & hip guitar/sax/perc.
8. Lazy and thoughtful w/some very cool guitar work.
9. Down/midtempo w/soaring vox backed by hip trio.
10. Wickedly hip mid/upbeat sax-driven bop w/a free-n-easy feel.
11. Way fun lazily upbeat Caribbean-wiggle w/fun vocals.
| ||Artist||Track Name|
Dizzy Introduces Louis|
|2.||Armstrong, Louis & The All Stars||
When It's Sleepy Time Down South|
|3.||Davis, Miles Quintet||
Why Should I Care|
|5.||Monk, Thelonious Quartet||
|6.||Witherspoon, Jimmy feat. Robben Ford||
|7.||Brubeck, Dave Quartet||
Someday My Prince Will Come|
|8.||Metheny, Pat Trio||
Change Of Heart|
And I Love Him|
|11.||Gillespie, Dizzy Sextet||