|Hurst, Robert / Unrehurst, Vol. 2|
|Add Date:||2011-02-06|| ||Pull Date:||2011-04-10|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||3 Apr||27 Mar||6 Mar||13 Feb|
ROBERT HURST: Unrehurst|
MODERN JAZZ – This is what it’s all about! Recorded in 2007 at Smoke in New York, this live trio set with bassist Robert Hurst, pianist Robert Glasper and drummer Chris Dave captures all the spontaneity, simpatico groove and intimate warmth of a top band playing in a small club. This is real jazz played at a high level, firmly in the tradition but bright, fresh and vital. FCC clean.
Fo’s Picks: 2, 3, 4
1. 17:31 – starts with insistent bass riffs, soft melody emerges very gradually; piano starts takes off about 5 mins in; flying bop groove keeps driving up to a hopping bass solo; slips into tick-tock rhythm, eases, then funky at the end.
2. 12:43 – spoken intro; gliding midtempo ballad with strong, soulful piano; fluid rhythm firms up, piano gets busy, lively bass, returns to ballad but drums push hard
3. 16:13 – hammering drums kick it off; goes from hard-edged riffs to breezy 5/4 sway, but keeps falling back; piano rides rapids, bass evens it out, rhythmic end
4. 15:32 – False start, then alternates strong walking grooves with tricky, even teasing diversions; everybody has fun with it; some cool beats come in at the end
5. 7:47 – solo bass intro, cool strut segues into a lopsided 12-bar blues, band intros
[ Fo ] 02/06/11