Palm - Rock Island
The first three tracks sound like one extended very long song, and except for the middle bit, most of the album sounds like those first three songs. The time signatures are math rock-y but the general vibe of the album is more indie pop, electro-indie pop. Vocals are simple, kind of quiet and tend to take a backseat to the irregular and interesting musical arrangements. A fun listen overall, but definitely space the tracks out if you play more than one. Recommended: 4, 7, 9. FCC CLEAN! RIYL: Tera Melos, Hovvdy, Forth Wanderers.
1. Pearly (2:47) Steel drums mixed with tropical sounding guitars, female vocals. Irregular time signatures, kooky indie pop song.
2. Composite (4:13) Similar sound to the first track, male vocals. Cool and weird guitar+drum solo at around 1:30. Mathy beat.
3. Dog Milk (5:19) Title song of the album. Steel drums again, drum machine beat. Male vocals. Halfway through an electric guitar comes in, solo-ing through the rest of the song. Long outro.
4. Forced Hand (4:26)*** Math-y electric guitars seem to duel each other throughout, rapidly changing time signatures, fav track by far! Play this one!
5. Theme From Rock Island (2:18) Instrumental, sound like it could be the instrumental to tracks 1-3 minus the steel drums. Math-y guitars playing single notes back and forth.
6. Bread (4:53) Old school sounding 1950’s sound effects in intro into the same guitar chord strummed over and over until the middle where the drums come in, indie pop.
7. Color Code (2:46)** Glitchy beats and sound effects, carnival feel. Female vocals, backed by the album’s signature loopy guitar sound.
8. Swimmer (4:32) Horn and steel percussion backs up effected male vocals, a slower, almost jazz-y song.
9. Heavy Lifting (4:43)** Full on math rock this time, female vocals. Another fav track.
10. 20664 (1:24) Short instrumental, not worth playing.
11. (Didn’t What You Want) Happen (4:00) Female vocals, math-y time signatures and same guitars as always but there's a cool, fun bit with the bass in the second half.