Sundays is the debut release by Oakland artist Tanukichan, aka Hannah van Loon. Yearning shoegaze played at lethargic speed with sweet vocals, some stylish effects and plenty of room to daydream.
Something else from the press release:
At surface level, the album sounds just how the title describes: hazy, dreamy, reflective, just like a lazy Sunday afternoon. “I settled on the name 'Sundays' as the title of the record because it encapsulated how the record felt to me,“ van Loon says. “I was thinking about the laziness, and dreamy clarity that you can feel after a late night, waking up having to face the world with a new perspective.”
RIYL: Slowdive, Jay Som, Fazerdaze
Recommended Tracks: 1, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10
1. (3:02) **Lazy Love – Medium tempo. Fuzzy start, classic distorted dreampop guitar intervention, whispery vocals, and nostalgic tone.
2. (2:41) The Best – Slow tempo. Balladesque. Chill mood.
3. (2:49) Like The Sun – Medium tempo. More classic distorted dreampop here. Tasteful.
4. (3:32) **Bitter Medicine – Slow/medium tempo. More pleasant guitar and vocal sounds here.
5. (2:48) *Hunned Bandz – Slow tempo. Dialogue sample, fuzzy guitars and more gentle vocals. This one reminds me of early His Name Is Alive.
6. (2:31) **Natural – Medium-up tempo. I think this is the single of the album. Bliss.
7. (3:20) The Blue Sky – Slow/medium tempo. Distant drum machine beat, atmospheric synths, guitars buried in the mix and a melancholic voice running the show.
8. (4:02) Sundays – Slow tempo. Drum machine beat, synths, and vocals. Another movie dialogue sample at the end.
9. (3:15) *Perfect – Medium tempo. Classic dreampop part III. Vivid.
10. (2:55) **This Time – Slow/medium tempo. Dreampop ballad. Great melody. Quite ambitious.