TYPESETTER – Nothing Blues (6131 Records)
RIYL: Tigers Jaw, Japandroids, You Blew It!
Recommended: 1, 4
FCC on 9, 10
Typesetter is an indie punk band from Chicago. Their second full-length, Nothing Blues, is full of songs that share a similar soft propulsion, all melodic, bittersweet and vibrant. The first half is generally uptempo, the second half is slower.
*1. (3.22) Monogamy I (Gliss Happening): soft energy, chorus bursts through
2. (3:50) Real Conversations with Imaginary Friends: chimes, culminates in a burst of energy
3. (3:41) Regardless: female backing vox
**4. (3:02) See the Light: bass intro, downward chromatic melody, “only lovers are left alive”
5. (3:24) Technicolor: slower paced, crunchy, spaced out guitar, trumpet
6. (3:39) Monogamy II (Bad Actor): anxious/urgent energy passes in and out of subdued verses
7. (4:19) Only: ocean-like feel, longing
8. (4:30) White Noise: acoustic-oriented, “I just can’t stay awake/and I don’t know why it bothers me”
9. (FCC: shit) (3:11) Marigold: chanting, neon guitar line
10. (FCC: fuck) (3:33) Viva: slower, slightly spiteful and defiant, fuzzed-out exit