|Green Mitchell Trio, The / Green Mitchell Trio, The|
|Add Date:||2012-04-14|| ||Pull Date:||2012-06-17|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||17 Jun||10 Jun||3 Jun||27 May||20 May||13 May||6 May||29 Apr|
THE GREEN MITCHELL TRIO: The Green Mitchell Trio |
AVANT-MODERN JAZZ – This Bay Area trio (led by reeds player Cory Wright) covers a lot of ground, but in a friendly, unassuming way: they slip in and out of jazzy grooves, over and through open improv spaces, get caught in bouncy riffs and wriggle loose in long, meandering streams. For another side of Wright, see the recent CD by Bristle (also with the excellent Lisa Mezzacappa on bass). Good stuff.
All pretty good. Fo’s Picks: 2, 3, 4, 7, 9
1. 4:23 – peppy riffs teeter on the brink, grooves a bit, clarinet solo explores
2. 4:02 – relaxed, moody: sax wavers over a gently winding bass line
3. 5:00 – great bass here as a cool angular bounce breaks apart, scatters
4. 7:04 – calm, spacious improv gels into some very nice, drifting trio interplay
5. 5:19 – upbeat theme, gets into a breezily grooving round of solos
6. 5:02 – scattered improv: bass & sax take turns out front, busy trio sections
7. 6:16 – happy clarinet bounce, bass takes it into space, drums go wheee!
8. 5:47 – low, dark pulse gradually slides into a vast abyss…
9. 4:09 – uptempo angular bounce, trio clicks, sax gets busy
[ Fo ] - April 2012