Reviewed by BravoMarco
“The Sonic Skypilots are a duo of interplanetary explorers who will take you on a journey through the Interplanetary Medium, the space that exists in our solar system” From the liner & that just about says it all. At times breathtakingly good this grows & grows on you. Ambient & experimental with more than a dash of that laid back bluesy jazz similar to the very wonderful ‘Angel Heart” soundtrack, composed by Trevor Jones with sax by Courtney Pine. This borders experimental & the World genres beautifully.
Like: Zeta One, Shriekback, Another Green World (UK band from the mid 80’s)
Loving them all. 1,3,9 maybe edge it.
1) Olypus Mons (4.18) Sultry sax takes you far away. (30 seconds quiet fade)
2) Sea of Tranquility (2.20) Stunning East European haze.
3) Neptune Nightlife (5.25) Up-tempo & catchy. The brass & percussion sections competing majestically.
4) Magnetosphere (3.08) Soft & subtle textures. (long fade)
5) Revolution of Europa (4.57) Carries on from the previous with added plucking. (long fade)
6) Orbiting Jupiter (3.56) That Steve Reich foreboding quality.
7) Erebus Terminal (1.48) An intergalactic head nodder.
8) Ice Caps of Mars (1.54) Shimmers along with a slight flamenco feel.
9) Exoplanet (3.12) Smooth Klezmer-esque lament. Lovely.
10) Venetian Kvetching (0.45) Pangs of a disappearing star.
11) Icy Moons (3.48) Droney & ominous. (long fade)
12) Hyperion Jig (0.54) Light bouncy industrial.
13) The Sheriff of Shoemaker (5.44) A mélange of the Sonic Skypilots sound. It’s all on this, sax, drone, electronica all getting on…
14) Mercurian Wind Chimes (2.51) Thudding opening that stays the course, while the planets dance. (long fade)
15) Magnetic Field (2.08) Atmospheric post punk intro with added zips & zaps.
16) Weightless (2.44) Light & breezy, the joyful planet that gets evaporated by the Imperial Star Destroyer.
17) Oort Cloud 7 (6.07) Dusky & thumpish with a bit of sauciness thrown in. (long fade)
18) Ithaca (4.58) A spacey voyage that takes it all in. Upbeat start leading to a mellow conclusion.