These South Carolina blokes take a more belligerent approach to stoner sludge -- if you could even call it that anymore. Here it's more about a timbre and a feeling than a chorus or hook. Expect massively downtuned guitars way ahead in the mix, straightforward pummeling drums, shreddy vocals just a little too blackened to make it at your local metal venue. Pain-to-melody ratio is about 80:20.
Choice cuts: 3, 4, 7
Genre: Sludge metal, "deathsludge," slamming your head against a wall
Friends: Electric Wizard, Celeste, Ufomammut, Acid Bath, Grief
1. (5:27) Swirling, almost-psychedelic looooow guitars, only semi-perceptible melody. Lyrical themes will get you in the mood for sure.
2. (3:04) Tribalistic beatdown toms, repetitive riffs, economical and tight.
3. (6:53) Classic huge fuzzy mega stoner guitar tone, but harder rocking than your average band with a marijuana pun in its name. Off-kilter melodies bookend slow doomy sections.
4. (4:14) GUUUSTAAAAAAAAVE! The formula really shines here with a slightly buffed up melody and scream-along one-word chorus. Badass finale.
5. (7:12) Pure beatdown. Maddeningly slow and grinding in parts. Occasional guitar trills our only refuge from the murk.
6. (7:15) More tempo variation and creativity in the percussion section. The dirge continues!
7. (7:38) More focus on lyricism and a bit of time signature switch-up. Kicking and screaming all the way to the end.