Synthpop with female vox, upbeat feel, techno and New Wave elements from this storied British group. It’s a solid album, but nothing groundbreakingly new style-wise for the band. A classically satisfying Ladytron effort.
RIYL CHVRCHES, The New Pornographers, Ladyhawke, Goldfrapp, Metric
FCC on track 13
Recommended tracks: 4, 10, 8, 6, 9, 1, 2
1. (5:36) * A repetitive, catchy, epic, uptempo synthpop anthem featuring female vocal harmonies and a hi-hat and tambourine drumline. Ends with 30 sec of twinkling synth.
2. (4:05) * Minor key cheesy ‘80s thriller music with some culturally questionable lyrics (e.g. “we are savages”).
3. (4:00) Midtempo synth-heavy crooning that’ll get your head swaying.
4. (3:35) ** Compelling swirling synth gives this one a sci-fi feel.
5. (3:38) Dissonant, but super poppy and bouncy synth. Mira on the vocals for this one.
6. (4:42) * Midtempo, lush synth with lyrics leading us to question how different we are from other species. Ends with a crazy horn swell.
7. (2:51) Floating along, beautiful breathy singing, with a minimal strummy beat. Get high to this song.
8. (4:26) ** Midtempo minor key industrial-sounding synth with punctuated drums that’re indescribably catchy. Defiant lyrics and vocal layering.
9. (4:06) * Uptempo energy with synth horns and a lot of beat. An almost Lady Gaga feel on this one. Ends quietly.
10. (4:29) ** Industrial plodding, ominous feel with breathy vocals. Great crashing instrumental break in the middle. RIYL ADULT.
11. (3:20) Creepy uptempo dissonance. Like being in a mechanical dancer’s funhouse.
12. (4:33) Midtempo plodding beat with ethereal backing vocals.
13. (4:38) FCC: “fucking.” Ballad that sounds like it should be played at an ‘80s prom.