|Barbeau, Anton / Kenny Vs. Thrust|
|Album:||Kenny Vs. Thrust||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Big Stir Records|
|Add Date:||2020-03-04||Pull Date:||2020-08-19|
|Week Ending:||15 Mar||8 Mar|
|1.||Nov 09, 2021:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
Back To Balmain
|4.||May 09, 2020:||Hanging in the bone yard |
|2.||Oct 10, 2021:||Alien Hour |
|5.||Apr 17, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|3.||Jun 06, 2020:||Hanging in the bone yard |
Clean Clothes In A Dirty Bag
|6.||Apr 10, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
“Kenny Vs. Thrust” Anton Barbeau|
Self-described “pre-apocalyptic psychedelic pop” — with more of a rock edge on this collection. The album is named for Barbeau’s two bands, Sacramento-based Kenny (where Barbeau hails from) and Oxford, England’s Thrust. The two bands divide up the backing on various tracks. Barbeau currently lives in Berlin, Germany, and he creates music that’s tuneful while being anti-formula and unapologetic — with whimsical, stream-of-consciousness lyrics. This is something like his 30th album!
Recommended: 4, 5, 7, 10, 11. No FCCs detected.
1. (3:32) Wire From The Wall – Warped, drudgy psych rock. Big, bold and rhythmic with pulsing bass.
2. (5:15) Land Of Economy – Propulsive rock with nods to the late 1960s. Melodic chorus. Clashy, metal-like lead break with searing guitar licks.
3. (4:26) Beautiful Bacon Dream – Fuzzy, chugging, out-of-sync rock. Beatles-like harmonies in the lead break, and a title every man can love.
4. (3:29) Jingle Jangle – Jangly pop rock (surprise!) with a catchy melody. Soaring guitar carries the lead break. ****
5. (3:20) Clean Clothes In A Dirty Bag – Old-timey rock homage to the early 1960s. Up-tempo and fun, with rapid-fire lyrics. Prominent fuzz guitar. ***
6. (4:45) Haunted in Fenland – Strummy electric guitars and a bouncy beat, with Dylan-like lead vocals.
7. (3:09) Back To Balmain – Breezy pop-rock — pulsing synth-scape, guitars and uplifting harmonies. ***
8. (3:13) Popsong 99 – Off-kilter guitar rock. Trippy, psychedelic and noisy. Changing time signatures, I think.
9. (3:18) Tidy Yourself Up – Reggae-flavored rock. Synths and effects. Clever lyrics. Processed spoken vocals in the lead break.
10. (3:20) Mahjong Dijon – Confident rolling rock with big strummed 12-string and acoustic guitars over a triplet-based rhythm. ***
11. (2:48) Burning Burning – Anthemic ballad closer. Strummed acoustic guitars. **
|1.||Wire From The Wall||6.||Haunted In Fenland|
|2.||Land Of Economy||7.||Back To Balmain|
|3.||Beautiful Bacon Dream||8.||Popsong 99|
|4.||Jingle Jangle||9.||Tidy Yourself Up|
|5.||Clean Clothes In A Dirty Bag||10.||Mahjong Dijon|