|Various Artists / Wolf's At The Door - Lost Recordings From The Spirits Of The South|
|Album:||Wolf's At The Door - Lost Recordings From The Spirits Of The South||Collection:||Blues 12"|
|Add Date:||2012-06-23||Pull Date:||2012-08-26||Charts:||Blues|
|Week Ending:||26 Aug||22 Jul||1 Jul|
|1.||Aug 24, 2012:||The Songsmith Show |
|3.||Jun 30, 2012:||blues with a feelin' |
40 Days And 40 Nights, Sherman's Blues
|2.||Jul 20, 2012:||The Songsmith Show |
|4.||Jun 29, 2012:||The Songsmith Show |
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
From the website 50 Miles Of Elbow Room:|
“In the 60s blues obsessive Bengt Olsson traveled to America in search of the fringe players who helped define the genre in the 30s and 40s. These masters, many barely recorded, quickly faded into obscurity when their medium left them poor, wolves at the door. What Olsson captured was a robust slice of haunting blues and gospel that would have otherwise been completely forgotten. Wolf's At The Door is eerie, celebratory, dark and redemptive, fragile, lonely and scandalous. It is about drunken revelers at a bootleggers house telling dirty jokes while teaching each other a four-part harmony to a gospel standard. It is the underbelly of the underbelly and all these tracks are presented here for the first time ever. (not exactly; I’ve got one of these tracks on an old Flyright comp – Adam/50 Miles)”
Recorded in late ‘60s / early ‘70‘s. Fantastic stuff - the REAL DEAL! FCC on Spoken Coda on #12.
*My Favorites*: All.
1. Mid. Killer slide guitar w/ chickens in the background.
2. Mid Classic spoken intro, gritty electric guitar.
3. Mid. Lo-fi vocal, a bit of feedback on the guitar, rompin’ stuff.
4. Slow / Mid. Male / female duet. Spiritual song, very ominous.
5. Mid. False start. Fantastic slide, very desolate mood.
6. Mid. Gospel w/ handclaps, acoustic slide guitar and great vocal.
7. Mid / Fast. Quick, steady guitar w/ kazoo. A classic.
8. Mid. Quick warm-up. Male / female singers. subdued guitar, stomps, quick interlude. Wow!
9. Mid. Footstompin’, kick-ass guitar, great howlin’ voice.
10. Slow. Electric guitar, solemn vibe.
11. Slow. INSTRUMENTAL. Hauntingly ominous electric guitar. Beautiful.
12. Mid. FCC at end. Pans? chimes? bell? Great percussion piece w/ vocal. Weird and wild w/ FCC spoken coda..