|Mayhew, Virginia Quartet / Mary Lou Williams - The Next 100 Years|
|Album:||Mary Lou Williams - The Next 100 Years||Collection:||Jazz|
|Artist:||Mayhew, Virginia Quartet||Added:||08/2012|
|Add Date:||2012-08-05||Pull Date:||2012-10-07||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||7 Oct||16 Sep||9 Sep||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug||12 Aug|
|1.||May 08, 2015:||Rebop |
Medi 1, Medi 2
|4.||Oct 05, 2012:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|2.||Aug 09, 2013:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|5.||Sep 12, 2012:||Summer Session |
|3.||May 10, 2013:||No Cover, No Minimum |
What's Your Story Morning Glory
|6.||Sep 04, 2012:||Rebop |
One For Mary Lou
VIRGINIA MAYHEW QUARTET: Mary Lou Williams – The Next 100 Years|
MAINSTREAM JAZZ – Saxophonist Mayhew leads a tribute to Mary Lou Williams, a great pianist/bandleader who emerged in the swing era but remained an innovative force through the 1970s, working in every style from big bands to the avant-garde. Friendly performances abound, with trombone star Wycliffe Gordon featured on 5 tracks. Solid work.
All good! Fo’s Picks: 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9
1. 5:29 – upbeat blues in waltz time: sax and guitar solos swing away
2. 5:27 – cool-groove intro, trombone gets into it, sax & drums also solo
3. 7:57 – oooh… serene, meditative groove with a ballad-like melody; so nice!
4. 6:42 – sneaky bop: bass has the spotlight first, then they spread it around
5. 11:30 – starts slow and simple, then drummer sets up an upbeat burner
6. 7:46 – one of MLW’s best-known tunes, extra bluesy with great trombone!
7. 3:08 – low-key bebop: twisty melody into extended bass solo
8. 4:39 – oddball mashup of boogie-woogie, blues & a waltz actually works!
9. 5:39 – original tune: a low groover with twisty bop elements & rolling solos
10. 5:40 – laid back & bluesy original with slightly angular harmony
[ Fo ] - 2 August 2012
|1.||J.B.'s Waltz||6.||What's Your Story Morning Glory|
|3.||Medi 1||8.||Waltz Boogie|
|4.||O.W.||9.||One For Mary Lou|
|5.||Cancer||10.||5 For Mary Lou|