|Various Artists / World Ends: Afro Rock & Psychedelia In 1970s Nigeria, The|
|Album:||World Ends: Afro Rock & Psychedelia In 1970s Nigeria, The||Collection:||World 12"|
|Add Date:||2012-08-26||Pull Date:||2012-10-28||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||21 Oct||7 Oct||30 Sep||16 Sep||9 Sep||2 Sep|
|1.||Mar 15, 2020:||Raymundo Substitution |
Akwa Kayi Ji Bia Nuwa, Breakthrough
|4.||Jan 20, 2020:||Soul, Samples & Substitutions |
Mr. Bull Dog (45 Version), Oli Nkwu, Life's Gone Down Low
|2.||Feb 10, 2020:||Soul, Samples & Substitutions |
|5.||Jul 27, 2015:||Everything A to Z week 04 Bonus Hour 1 |
|3.||Feb 03, 2020:||Soul, Samples & Substitutions |
Akwa Kayi Ji Bia Nuwa
|6.||Oct 01, 2014:||maximum entropy |
The World Ends – Afro-Rock & Psychedelia…|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/26/12
Afro-Rock and Psychedelia from 1970’s Nigeria, just like it says. (For all I know, vocals are in several languages other than English, but I just put “Nigerian”…)
Side 6 has two vinyl-only bonus tracks
1. 3:01 ***very 60’s garage feel, midtempo hip wiggler, vocals in Nigerian, lots of farfisa (and pretty crap production, alas.)
2. 3:54 **midtempo funky strut, totally Joe Cool. Instrumental – pretty much all psychedelic guitar solo.
3. 3:03 **uptempo, extremely messy and quite psychedelic. Seriously fuzzy guitar
4. 4:02 **rather uptempo, sort of free-jazzy, apparently recorded live, in English. Goes in all sorts of different directions…
5. 4:43 ****upbeat, tingly and jingly, groovy keyboard and blatty horn. Ooh, also funky with gnarly jazzy horns and wah wah. Vocals in English. Crazy!
6. 3:40 ***uptempo yet relaxed funky sashay with prominent bass. Sort of a free-form jam, I think.
7. 3:48 **truly odd spoken intro, complex fast African percussion. Bit of fuzz/wahwah guitar, lots of yells. Party time! Feels more of a real Afro-psych fusion that most tracks.
8. 5:29 **a bit uptempo, happy boppy, slightly funky psychedelia with prominent keyboards. Vocals in Nigerian.
9. 5:00 ****solo guitar intro, midtempo and bluesy. Reminds me of the Vanilla Fudge version of Season of the Witch. Vocals in English. Guitar gets GNARLY towards the end. Whew!
10. 3:34 **upbeat, complex percussion, wah wah guitar, quite aggressive vocals in Nigerian. Psychedelic and pretty sloppy…
11. 5:26 **relaxed pop shuffle, but with profoundly psychedelic guitars. Sort of soft and mushy mix, though. Pretty vocals WAY up in front, interesting Nigerian language.
12. 3:37 **midtempo relaxed funky soul, vocals in English. Rather banal lyrics redeemed completely by super-psychedelic guitar solo
13. 4:49 ***smooth soul sway, beautiful female harmonies in English (see their CDs we have already)
14. 3:27 ***uptempo 4/4 chugging groove with solo guitar and hand drums. FUNKY as mess. Vocals in English.
15. 3:02 **unexpectedly mellow acoustic guitar – almost 60’s country-pop. Morphs into midtempo funky soul.
16. (short – 3 minutes?) **uptempo, hyperactive farfisa, vocals in Nigerian.
17. (long jam – 7+ minutes) ****fast Blaxploitation groove with prominent (quite good) trumpet. Gnarly vocals in English. Nice.