The Orb feat. Lee “Scratch” Perry/ The Orbserver in the Star House/ The End
Awesome collaboration with classic downtempo electronic UK group the Orb and the legendary Lee “Scratch” Perry. Orb specialized in taking Chicago house and slowing down the tempo to make the sound less danceable and more accessible. The inception of the album was the result of a dj and toaster set that the Orb did with Perry in Mexico back in 2004. What we get on the album is tasteful dub-ish, ambient, electronic music. Very easy to listen to. Almost sounds like an album where Perry’s vocals were sampled by a an electro producer. I prefer tracks 3,5,7,9, and 11. NO FCC’s
1) 4:11 Mid to down tempo. Driving kick drum gives an dance feel mixed with reggae-dub
2) 4:14 Mid tempo but chilled. Heavier tribal like dub with Perry scatting throughout.
3) 4:05* Down tempo. Heavy dubby bass with a rolling beat. Perry kind of raps.
4) 6:03 Down to mid tempo. Beat starts after 1:00. kind of whimsical at first. gets heavier
5) 5:45* Mid to uptempo. Starts with acoustic guitar. Starts rocking afrobeat-ish at 1:15
6) 4:21 Upper tempo. Retro sample gives a soulful feel. Rock steady singing and toasts.
7) 5:29** Slow to mid tempo. Heavy bass starts slow and starts to groove. Dub-groovy
8) 4:36 Mid-tempo. Funky hip hop-ish beat. Gets a little bit boring.
9) 4:50* Down tempo. Retro roots sound. Throwback to 60’s-70’s roots. Huge bass.
10) 1:25 Mid tempo. Very dark with driving kick that gives a sinister feel. Tribal sounds.
11) 6:23** Down to up tempo. Meditative intro until 1:06. Stays dark until samba-ish tribal beat starts at 1:40. Delicious!