|Poor Moon / Poor Moon|
|Label:||Sub Pop Records|
|Add Date:||2012-11-25||Pull Date:||2013-01-27|
|Week Ending:||27 Jan||20 Jan||13 Jan||6 Jan||30 Dec||23 Dec||16 Dec||9 Dec|
|1.||Feb 02, 2013:||Swedish Morning Radio |
|4.||Jan 26, 2013:||Everything 2.0 |
Pulling Me Down
|2.||Feb 01, 2013:||Time Traveler |
|5.||Jan 25, 2013:||Time Traveler |
|3.||Jan 31, 2013:||The Show with T-Lex and Lolo |
|6.||Jan 18, 2013:||Time Traveler |
Pulling Me Down
“Poor Moon” Poor Moon|
Side project from four-piece band led by two members of Fleet Foxes, Christian Wargo and Casey Wescott. Former Foxes drummer, Josh Tillman (now performing as Father John Misty), handles the percussion. First full CD from the group, following EP “Illusion” from earlier this year. Indie folk and pop compositions that are reminiscent of Fleet Foxes at times, but venture into territory where the Foxes wouldn’t tread — such as 1960s Brit pop and psychedelia. Definitely some good things to choose from.
Recommended: 2, 5, 9, 7, 6, 10. No FCCs noted
1. (2:23) Clouds Below — Playful falsetto harmonies, finger-picked guitar and banjo. Crickets and jaybird calls in lead breaks.
2. (3:12) Phantom Light — Gentle, rolling Latin flavor. Reverbed vocals float above. Song transitions to Renaissance Faire feeling with harpsichord in lead break. ***
3. (2:47) Same Way — Bell-like vibraphone and tom-toms — the latter alternatively rolling and thundering — interspersed with Wargo’s airy vocals.
4. (2:38) Holiday — Tropics-drenched, middle of the road number. Avoid.
5. (2:26) Waiting For — High-quality, quirky indie pop — with 1960s era chorus. Harmonies soar over march-like percussion. ***
6. (3:09) Heaven’s Door — Nod to psychedelic pop of the 1960s, complete with Strawberry Alarm Clock-sounding organ and drums. **
7. (2:46) Pulling Me Down — Another excellent indie pop track that pays homage to the Hollies, the Animals and others from the British invasion of the 1960s. **
8. (3:25) Bucky Pony — Hint of Indian transcendentalism coursing through the song, layered with shimmering harmonies and booming tom-toms.
9. (3:25) Come Home — Lush harmonies backed by harpsichord and drums. More Fleet Foxes-like than some other tunes on the CD. ***
10. (3:51) Birds — Beautiful, flowing indie folk — with a hint of the islands in Tillman’s soft rhythm track. **
|1.||Clouds Below||6.||Heaven's Door|
|2.||Phantom Light||7.||Pulling Me Down|
|3.||Same Way||8.||Bucky Pony|