|Negroni's Trio / On The Way|
|Album:||On The Way||Collection:||Jazz|
|Add Date:||2013-02-09||Pull Date:||2013-04-14||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||31 Mar||17 Mar||3 Mar||24 Feb||17 Feb|
|1.||Feb 12, 2016:||Rebop |
|4.||Feb 06, 2015:||Rebop |
Looking For You
|2.||Oct 23, 2015:||Rebop |
|5.||Mar 27, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
|3.||Apr 10, 2015:||Rebop |
On The Way
|6.||Mar 16, 2013:||Music Casserole |
Looking For You
Negroni's Trio/On The Way|
Label: AA Records
Reviewed by Carl M
Piano based latin/jazz trio with featured saxophone and violin on some tracks. Great, uplifting sound on the faster tunes, soulful playing from piano and arco bass on ballad-ish tunes. If you like piano trios like Avishai Cohen, The Bad Plus, etc. and also want more latin music, this is the album to listen to. Also the drummer, Nomar Negroni, is top notch.
Favorites: On The Way, Matices, Dancing with the Bass, My Way, Looking For You, Retrospection
1. ***(4:41) On The Way - Uptempo driving latin tune, with intense latin drumming from Nomar Negroni. Really fun.
2. *(6:38) Matices (Featuring Ed Calle) - First tune to feature Ed Calle on sax. A really ethereal intro with latin harmonies, followed by intricate section showing of Nomar's drumming ability, with many interesting melodies. Saxophone gets awesome towards the end.
3. (3:51) Blue Forest - Piano presents a repeated figure that eventually ends up in bass, then eventually changes to a fun uptempo swing, and then goes back to the original pattern.
4. (5:34) Estate - Slightly more bossa feel with brushes, lyrical melodies from piano. Like a slightly faster ballad.
5. **(5:16) Dancing With The Bass (Featuring Ed Calle) - Like title says, great bass melodies, and more latin-sounding interplay of the rest of the trio.
6. (5:09) Oak Tree (Featuring Ed Calle) - Nice melodies in the piano, more interplay of drums and bass with piano. Eventually turns into a driving latin groove.
7. **(7:03) Expressions - Really meticulously composed, third-stream-ish composition, great sax and piano melodies.
8. *(4:59) My Way - Reinterpretation of a famous melody for the trio, definitely THE ballad of the album. Super lyrical piano playing and arco bass.
9. **(5:11) Looking For You (Featuring Ed Calle) - Faster tune, repeating piano patterns, with saxphone melodies. Really cool polyphonic writing for the whole trio. Section with saxophone soling over only drums.
10. ***(3:22) Retrospection (Featuring Federico Britos) - Soulful, French-sounding melodies in violin and piano. Beautiful.
|1.||On The Way||6.||Oak Tree|
|3.||Blue Forest||8.||My Way|
|4.||Estate||9.||Looking For You|
|5.||Dancing With The Bass||10.||Retrospection|