|Album:||Barber, Schuman, Foote, Diamond (American Stringbook; Do.Gma Chamber Orchestra)||Collection:||Classical|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Mar 2013|
|Label:||Berthold Records, Bmbh|
|Add Date:||2013-03-31||Pull Date:||2013-06-03||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||Apr 7|
|1.||Apr 06, 2013:||Music Casserole
Rounds - 2. Adagio 3:58
Label: Berthold Records, 2011
This album features beautiful chamber works by American composers, three 20th cent. and one 19th cent., who made NYC and Boston famous in their lifetimes. David Diamond was highly influential in the 2nd half of 20th cent, and won many prizes, honors and influential posts. Rounds is based on the style of simple English rounds (canons) of the 1600s. Arthur Foote was admired Brahms and was committed to the romantic tradition; his compositions dominated East Coast music for decades. Samuel Barber, like Schuman was born in 1910, and wrote Serenade at age 19 while a student. His Adagio for Strings is often played. William Schuman won a Pulitzer Prize, directed the Juilliard School and became director of Lincoln Center. His works are somewhat more dissonant than those of Diamond, Foote and Barber.
1. Diamond: Rounds - 1. Allegro, Molto Vivace 4:35. Upbeat, joyous.
2. Diamond: Rounds - 2. Adagio 3:58. Melancholy.
3. Diamond: Rounds - 3. Allegro Vigoroso 6:24. High stomping dance.
4. Foote: Suite In E, Op. 63 - 1. Praeludium 3:40. Tender, chant-like but strong.
5. Foote: Suite In E, Op. 63 - 2. Pizzicato & Adagietto. 8:05. Excited pizzicato and sweet flowing string melody alternate.
6. Foote: Suite In E, Op. 63 - 3. Fuge. 4:42. Noble, in four voices.
7. Barber: Serenade, Op. 1 - 1. Un Poco Adagio. 4:09. Urgent, lovely.
8. Barber: Serenade, Op. 1 - 2. Andante Con Moto. 2:19. A curious Spring melody, quiet but not still.
9. Barber: Serenade, Op. 1 - 3. Dance. 3:48. Folk dance at close of day.
10. Schuman: Symphony #5 - 1. Molto Agitato Ed Energico. 4:40. Somewhat harshly painted chords are stretched out and repeated; a nobleman protesting.
11. Schuman: Symphony #5 - 2. Larghissimo. 8:25. Gentle. Combines 1st mvmt themes with new ideas. A wistful looking back on life.
12. Schuman: Symphony #5 - 3. Presto. 5:14. Positive re-engagement in life.
13. Barber: Adagio For Strings, Op. 11. 7:49. Gorgeous, slow melody grows into majestic sound and then gently fades.