|Golden Gunn / Golden Gunn|
|Label:||Three Lobed Recordings|
|Add Date:||2013-04-21||Pull Date:||2013-06-23|
|Week Ending:||9 Jun||2 Jun||26 May||19 May||12 May||5 May||28 Apr|
|1.||Jan 02, 2014:||KZSU Top 100 of 2013 |
|4.||May 30, 2013:||Daydream Disaster |
|2.||Jun 06, 2013:||The Sunset Life |
|5.||May 23, 2013:||Accidental Catharsis |
Let Me Shine (Deathhouse)
|3.||May 30, 2013:||The Sunset Life |
|6.||May 23, 2013:||minimum entropy ii |
Golden Gunn is the unexpected collaboration of folk guitar virtuoso Steve Gunn and M.C. Taylor of the alt-country outfit Hiss Golden Messenger. The result is old-school and new-folk, down home rootsy country and blazing acoustic raga-ness. Taylor says he was “tired of his voice,” so words take a backseat for the most part. This (Record Store Day exclusive) album sounds like the soundtrack to an unmade Coen Brothers film. FCC Clean, all tracks good to great except 8.|
1. (8:31) Twinkling bells and feedback until 1:40, then a lighthearted folksy instrumental with a psychedelic edge.
2. (4:53) Stompin’, lurid country blues with occasional (heavily reverbed) vocals
3. (2:59) Groovy, bluesy country-rock anthem, laid back and catchy like Bob Dylan’s Modern Times band with smooth, earthy vocals. GREAT STUFF, perfect for any classic-rock or country show.
4. (3:32) Gentle instrumental lullaby with the melody dreamily uttered by some slide guitar
5. (5:18) Weird psychedelic washes, sappy slowcore vocals, drum machine and organ? Sounds like a futuristic country ballad, misses its mark by a bit, but I’ll take this over Bon Jovi Iver any day.
6. (6:35) Coooool, dark spy movie theme-like, chill plodding jazz-bluesy motifs perfect for low-ridin’
7. (2:53) Instrumental, more like GUNN-TRUSCINSKI DUO material in that Steve Gunn just shreds in DADGAD while a bluesy lead takes on mystical eastern flairs.
8. (4:01) WHAT? Way too upbeat and poppy, totally jars with the rest of the album, almost country-reggae? Not sure what the hell they were smoking.
9. (4:41) Sparse folksy licks, droning harmonica, QUIET FADE-OUT at 1:12.
|1.||Vysehrad||5.||The Sun Comes Up A Purple Diamond|
|2.||Dickie's Theme||6.||From A Lincoln Continental|
|3.||Let Me Shine (Deathhouse)||7.||Goner|
|4.||Lal's Song||8.||A Couple Of Blackbirds|
|9.||Tennessee (Song For Noah)|