|Majical Cloudz / Impersonator|
|Add Date:||2013-10-17||Pull Date:||2013-12-19|
|Week Ending:||22 Dec||8 Dec||3 Nov||27 Oct||20 Oct|
|1.||Jun 02, 2016:||All Passion No Technique |
|4.||Dec 04, 2013:||Meow After Midnight |
This Is Magic
|2.||May 04, 2015:||Shytown |
|5.||Oct 27, 2013:||Sound Art |
|3.||Dec 19, 2013:||Meow After Midnight |
|6.||Oct 23, 2013:||Meow After Midnight |
Majical Cloudz is Devon Welsh and Matthew Otto, and the songs they showcase here are minimal, soothing, repetitive, self-aware, and yet thoroughly emotive and vulnerable. This project seems like an attempt to lower the walls between artist and listener, to create an intimate musical conversation between the two. Whether or not they always succeed, this is moving stuff. Favorites: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10. No FCCs.|
1. (3:10)—Slow, almost incantatory. Vocal loops. “I’m a liar, I say I make music.”
2. *(4:26)—Medium-slow, soft, plodding. Feels like a hymn.
3. *(3:49)—Mid-tempo. The “hit.” Swelling synth strings, skittering beat, really catchy chorus. Hints of Chris Isaak?
4. (4:11)—Slow. Romantic, melancholy. “I’m on stage for you.”
5. (4:13)—Medium-fast. Anxious, danceable but light.
6. *(3:44)—Slow. Trippy, creepy, mournful.
7. *(5:15)—Slow, beatless, chilling, heartbreaking. Welsh jumps into his upper vocal register. “I don’t think about dying alone.”
8. (2:51)—Slow, dreamy. “Illusion, illusion, illusion, illusion.”
9. (3:22)—Slow. Begins with chords on a synth piano, builds slowly.
10. *(3:20)—Slow, beatless. The desolate, dramatic closer. “I don’t want to turn to the Bible.” Ends suddenly.
|1.||Impersonator||6.||Turns Turns Turns|
|2.||This Is Magic||7.||Silver Rings|
|4.||I Do Sing For You||9.||Bugs Don't Buzz|