|Horror Inc. / Briefly Eternal|
|Add Date:||2013-09-29||Pull Date:||2013-12-01||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||24 Nov|
|1.||Nov 23, 2013:||Music Casserole |
|2.||Nov 21, 2013:||KZSU Trainee Party |
Horror Inc. - Briefly Eternal Label: Perlon|
This is a fascinating album for any dance-music connoisseur. Horror Inc., a.k.a. Marc Leclair who also records under the name Akufen, has put together an interesting "dance" concept album unlike anything I've heard lately. While most dance music has hooks & loops to keep people dancing, Leclair aims to convey a lot of emotion, melancholy, drama, even spookiness and tension as well. Unusual & awkward melodies with influences of jazz, Japanese folk music, music-box tinkling, and textures of avant-garde experimentalism all contribute to this work. The most straightforward dance track is #10 ("Jhator"), but there's a lot of interesting "listening". Try #1 ("Phowa"), #2 ("Mourning"), #4 ("The Absent"), #6 ("Dans La Nuit"), and #9 ("Bardo Thodol"). NOTE: The album can be played as a continuous mix.
1. "Phowa" - Sparse and darkly cinematic ambience, some crackles and creepy strings, breaks down into an acid-jazz-like groove halfway.
2. "Mourning" - Like the title suggests, melancholy strings, some loose percussion and occasional beats; 2nd half of the track is kind of funky.
3. "Remembrance" - Some string washes, some bumpin' funky bassline keeps you moving.
4. "The Absent" - Disturbing Japanese-sounding strings with a groovy bassline & beats.
5. "I Can't Look At You" - Dramatic and theatrical - strings and melancholy voice, beats.
6. "Dans La Nuit" - Shimmering and tinkling music-box melodies, chilled-out beats.
7. "The Sentinel" - Little organ melodies and some strings over a stripped-down beat.
8. "Crépuscule" - Strange & exotic feel, strings & spooky percussion, some female vox.
9. "Bardo Thodol" - This is more jazz than anything else - space-y pianos & a midtempo walking bassline.
10. "Jhator" - Probably the most accessible "dance" track here - catchy string melody and a simple house beat with some crispy effects and classic funky grooves
|1.||Phowa||6.||Dans La Nuit|
|4.||The Absent||9.||Bardo Thodol|
|5.||I Can't Look At You||10.||Jhator|