|Cactus Channel, The / Wooden Boy|
|Artist:||Cactus Channel, The||Added:||Nov 2013|
|Label:||Hope Street Recordings|
|Add Date:||2013-11-14||Pull Date:||2014-01-24|
|Week Ending:||Jan 26||Jan 19||Jan 12||Jan 5||Dec 29||Dec 22||Dec 15||Dec 8|
|1.||Nov 06, 2015:||A Visit From Drum (Nature Walk) |
Wooden Boy, Pt. 3
|4.||Jan 17, 2014:||A Visit From Drum |
Who Is Walt Druce?
|2.||Aug 02, 2014:||Fishbowl |
Who Is Walt Druce?
|5.||Jan 14, 2014:||The Alarm Clock |
|3.||Jan 21, 2014:||Grooving with DJ Gu |
|6.||Jan 09, 2014:||Ranch... or Cool Ranch? |
Australian band made up of teenagers who produce a wonderfully layered and expressive funk/jazz/hip-hop/world amalgamation. All the tracks are instrumental with phenomenal drumming and some all around really impressive musicianship. WARNING: YOU WILL FEEL DANGEROUSLY COOL WHILE LISTENING TO THIS ALBUM.|
Favorites: 1, 3, 4, 7, 9 but play anything here. No FCCs.
Similar artists/releases: William Onyeabor, Antibalas, Hiatus Kiayote
1. (4:00) *** Starts right off the bat with some groovy guitar and explosive horns. Sounds like a spy movie set in Morocco or something. This track hits hard and keeps its propulsive, infectious, momentum. What an outstanding opener to an album.
2. (4:32) Much more toned down than the first track but still excellent. Great drumming and mainly driven by horns. I could imagine this being sampled in a hip-hop song
3. (3:44) ** Cool, sharp, opening moment before breaking out into a full on jam. Expressive, dynamic, and upbeat
4. (3:11) ** A more up-tempo companion to track 2 with some cool effects and melodic layers
5. (4:51) Mid-tempo. Takes about 30 seconds to build up and then transforms into a sleek jazzy beast
6. (4:16) * Snazzy drum fill in the opening few seconds. Some nice horn interplay with repeating guitar line
7. (3:54) ** I can’t get enough of this track, great guitar line with some smooth organ/horn passages and fantastic percussion as always. You can tell they’re having fun playing this stuff
8. (4:35) Gloomy horns with a hypnotic bass line that builds to a cool groove. Has a neo-noir vibe
9. (3:33) ** Starts off with what you expect to be a down-tempo track before bursting into life within seconds. This is an absolutely entrancing jam
10. (5:20) Begins with some guitar and develops into a laidback groove. Escalates to a cinematic climax in the last 2 minutes. Nice end to an inventive, hectic, album
Reviewed by Muscat
|1.||Who Is Walt Druce?||6.||How Did This Happen?|
|2.||Wooden Boy, Pt. 1||7.||X-Ray Bear|
|3.||Jorge Buccio||8.||Bison Slide|
|4.||Wooden Boy, Pt. 3||9.||Did Everyone Meet Siadon That Night?|
|5.||Laika||10.||Black Flag And Lady Bountiful|