|Jett, Joan And The Blackhearts / Unvarnished|
|Artist:||Jett, Joan And The Blackhearts||Added:||01/2014|
|Add Date:||2014-01-17||Pull Date:||2014-03-21|
|Week Ending:||23 Feb||9 Feb||2 Feb||26 Jan|
|1.||Mon, 24 Sep 18:||amy cummings|
regular school / summer skool
|4.||Tue, 04 Feb 14:||Mr. Esquire & The Terrahist|
|2.||Thu, 17 Jul 14:||Angelina|
|5.||Wed, 29 Jan 14:||Emma.|
|3.||Tue, 18 Feb 14:||Mister Esquire|
|6.||Thu, 23 Jan 14:||Eliza Ridgeway|
The Peninsula Report
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts – Unvarnished|
10th album from this veteran rock band (and first in seven years). Like (Literally) The Donnas: Original Flavor. Can you call it retro rock when it’s Joan Jett? Kind of like pulling those clothes out of your closet that were trendy fashionable when you first wore them and are vintage fashionable now. If you like Joan Jett’s style, then all these songs are worth checking out (except maybe #10, because her voice just does not seem suited to a ballad.) --eme o.
1. Any Weather (606 Version) [3:24] Kind of a standard pop-ish love song. “We can stay together through any weather.”
*2. TMI [3:49] I kind of like this song despite the feeling that the title is an example of trying too hard. Mid-tempo song with kind of an aggressive/assertive beat and a certain amount of growling in the chorus. She had me at the classic “ow!”
3. Soulmates to Strangers [3:13] As the title indicates, this is a post-breakup tune. Somehow it makes me think of 50s era songs of heartbreak, only with more guitars and drums and stuff.
4. Make It Back [3:18] Upbeat sort of 70s-style rock. Reminds me of Meatloaf for some reason, might be the rockin’ piano. “I hope this train don’t fall off the track, cause I gotta make it back.”
5. Hard to Grow Up [4:22] Wistful tone here, but still the mid-tempo rocking sound
*6. Fragile [3:39] Heavier sound. On the fragility of life, love, and the human heart (when someone’s cheating boot stomps on it). Possible FCC: “Ass”
*7. Reality Mentality [3:06] Stompy rhythm and handclaps. Tough attitude. The “reality” referenced is that of “celebutard” reality tv stars.
*8. Bad As We Can Be [3:53] Peppy love song. Not lasting love, of course, but the kind where you just kind of jump on the horse and ride ‘til you get bucked off (and hope not to be trampled underfoot). “But I’m no good for you and you’re no good for me, we’ll be as bad as we can be.”
*9. Different [3:36] Tough gal swagger, with cowbell. “Don’t focus on the things you’re not, just walk your walk.”
10. Everybody Needs A Hero [3:30] Ballad. Beatles-esque. Fake ending ~2:17. Then another silence from ~2:30 to ~3:10, then spoken word.
|1.||Any Weather (606 Version)||6.||Fragile|
|3.||Soulmates To Strangers||8.||Bad As We Can Be|
|4.||Make It Back||9.||Different|
|5.||Hard To Grow Up||10.||Everybody Needs A Hero|