|Africa Express / Africa Express Presents: Maison Des Jeunes|
|Album:||Africa Express Presents: Maison Des Jeunes||Collection:||World|
|Label:||Transgressive Records Ltd.|
|Add Date:||2014-01-24||Pull Date:||2014-03-28||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||23 Mar||16 Mar||9 Mar||2 Mar||23 Feb||16 Feb||9 Feb||2 Feb|
|1.||Mar 22, 2014:||Music Casserole |
Lobi Traore Band_Deni Kelen Be Koko
|4.||Mar 14, 2014:||A Visit From Drum |
|2.||Mar 21, 2014:||A Visit From Drum |
|5.||Mar 08, 2014:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
1.Adama Koita_Fantainfalla Toyi Bolo
|3.||Mar 15, 2014:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
|6.||Mar 07, 2014:||A Visit From Drum (There's So Many Colors) |
3.Ghostpoet Feat. Doucoura_Season Change
Artist: Various Artists|
Title: Africa Express
No FCC detected.
This excellent collection of Malian music was (allegedly) recorded in a youth hostel in Bamako during a single week in October 2013. The album features a mix of more modern tracks (#5 and #6), traditional Malian music (#1, #7, #11), and some totally different ones too (#9)—all are worth a listen.
1. (3:37) ** Mid-tempo rhythmic grove with male vocals. Relaxed and relaxing.
2. (3:38) * Distorted guitar riffing
3. (3:57) ** Deep synth groove behind poetry (in English). Lots of effects but it works for me. Ends with sick percussion solo on talking drums.
4. (3:28) Female vocals over a slow thumb-piano line. Almost dissonant in some places.
5. (3:49) ** Fast percussion track. No vocals, just samples of talking drums, flutes, and other rhythmic things.
6. (3:23) *** Super-sick line behind rap
7. (5:56) ** Beautiful kora and female vocals in a slow grove. No percussion—just simple bass backing.
8. (5:01) * Fast ngoni (I think) line with up-tempo percussion
9. (5:47) * Driving up-tempo percussion with vocals and reverby distorted guitar line. Would fit in well on almost every KZSU show.
10. (5:16) ** Mostly slow solo kora with a few spoken words (in French)
11. (3:13) * Soft/smooth male vocals with slow kora
Review by Henry C-G