|Thee Oh Sees / Drop|
|Artist:||Thee Oh Sees||Added:||06/2014|
|Label:||Castle Face Records|
|Add Date:||2014-06-13||Pull Date:||2014-08-15|
|Week Ending:||10 Aug||3 Aug||27 Jul||20 Jul||13 Jul||6 Jul||29 Jun||22 Jun|
|1.||Thu, 02 Apr 15:||Matthew|
|4.||Thu, 29 Jan 15:||DJ Away|
The Sunset Life
|2.||Mon, 30 Mar 15:||Pixel|
|5.||Mon, 26 Jan 15:||Pixel|
|3.||Tue, 24 Mar 15:||aj|
Setting Fire to the Lab
|6.||Thu, 08 Jan 15:||DJ Away|
The Sunset Life
Former SF garage rockers and all-time KZSU faves, with a new album during their apparent non-hiatus. John Dwyer may be in LA these days, but not a major change in the sound. More cosmic bleeps and bloops, with kinda a late-60s electronic bent (a la Silver Apples/Perrey and Kingsley) but HIGH QUALITY MUSIC all over the place. No FCCs.|
1. (3:23) *****Plinky spacey organs (very '60s moogy) growing fuzz wall. la-la-la-la vocals + chant deep in mix. God, that's a lot of fuzz. Spacey till the end, warpy fade.
2. (5:41) ********Crackly fuzz cyclic dramatic intro. Driving, kinda krauty. Reedy vox in clearness. Krauty groove, with weird bleepy effects. Solos are weird and solid.
3. (4:07) **Head-bobbing tick-tock guitars and drums. Doomy slow fuzzy with rattly scare sounds. Steady, methodical.
4. (2:37) **Huh, that's different-- sax and tuba or something tooting along. Swings between snotty punk and folky placid.
5. (2:30) ***Driving, loud, and sharp-edged guitar fuzz. Sharp sounding! Brief fricking song, too.
6. (3:11) *****Glammy and elegant sound. Regal. "Life is a camera..." Between cranking fuzzy garage and processional Louis XIV style, it's an odd, great sound.
7. (3:36) *****Countdown intro... more posh elder English-sounding storytelling (Syd Barrettish), with weird organ trills punctuating. Hypnotizing, calm and fuzzy as hell.
8. (3:31) *****Fuzzy FAT distortion, god, dreamy and plinky... into lush vocoder type stuff (Queeny)
9. (2:36) ****Wafty posh balladeering, folky with respectable backing string quartet. A tiny, muffled and frail trumpet solo ends it.
|2.||Encrypted Bounce||6.||Camera (Queer Sound)|
|3.||Savage Victory||7.||King's Nose|
|4.||Put Some Reverb On My Brother||8.||Transparent World|