|Reed, Eric / Adventurous Monk, The|
|Album:||Adventurous Monk, The||Collection:||Jazz|
|Add Date:||2014-06-20||Pull Date:||2014-08-22||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||24 Aug||17 Aug||10 Aug||3 Aug||20 Jul||13 Jul||22 Jun|
|1.||May 11, 2017:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|4.||Aug 22, 2014:||Rebop |
|2.||May 15, 2015:||Rebop |
|5.||Aug 12, 2014:||Jump, Jive and Jazz |
|3.||Aug 29, 2014:||Rebop |
|6.||Aug 08, 2014:||Heptagonal Banana |
Pianist Reed has explored the debt that jazz piano owes to Monk on some of his earlier releases. Here he pays homage to the master again. He’s smart enough not to try imitating Monk, instead he offers his own take on some of Monk’s classic tunes. Backed by a nicely fluid band, with vocals on #9. |
*1. Hissing percussion and energetic keys mark this uptempo track.
*2. Uptempo & stylish, featuring a nice solo by Seamus Blake on sax.
*3. Relaxed and playful, a tight arrangement played with style.
4. Downtempo, then picks up. Turns into a driving bop.
5. Relaxed down/midtempo with periods of quiet.
6. Upbeat and quirky with flashes of restraint.
*7. A bright, energetic bop right from the start.
8. Quiet intro, mostly slow. Lyrical tribute to a jazz muse.
9. Downtempo. Fluid and warm w/husky female vocals.
10. Percussion-led intro to midtempo jam w/nice, fluid energy.
|5.||'round Midnight||10.||Ba-Lues Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are|