|First Aid Kit / Stay Gold|
|Artist:||First Aid Kit||Added:||Jul 2014|
|Add Date:||2014-07-04||Pull Date:||2014-09-05|
|Week Ending:||Sep 7||Aug 31||Aug 24||Aug 17||Aug 10||Aug 3||Jul 27||Jul 20|
|1.||Dec 31, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
My Silver Lining
|4.||Dec 11, 2015:||Time Traveler |
|2.||Feb 12, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|5.||Aug 07, 2015:||Time Traveler |
|3.||Nov 14, 2017:||The Core |
My Silver Lining
|6.||Jun 19, 2015:||Time Traveler |
“Stay Gold” First Aid Kit|
The latest from Swedish sisters, Johanna (age 23) and Klara (21) Söderberg. Astonishingly mature folk and Americana — with country leanings. This is First Aid Kit’s 3rd full-length album, the follow-up to its critically acclaimed Lion’s Roar. The lyrics focus on topics such as figuring life out, moving out on one’s own, dealing with heartbreak, and building a life away from home. The album is full of memorable melodies — with pure harmonies, polished arrangements that include a 13-piece orchestra, and precise production in Omaha, Nebraska, by Mike Mogis, who also produces Bright Eyes’ albums. RIYL: Emmylou Harris, Laura Veirs or even Fleetwood Mac.
Recommended: 1, 5, 4, 7, 8, 3. FCC on Track 2.
1. (3:35) My Silver Lining – Up-tempo country-folk, with “crying” violins, fiddle, fingerpicked guitar, and simple rhythm that incorporates brushes on drums. Storytelling vocals with soaring harmonies. ****
2. (3:47) Master Pretender – Warning: FCC! “Shit gets fucked up.” Gentle, acoustic fingerpicked guitar. Song builds by lead break with the addition of full orchestration.
3. (4:11) Stay Gold – Lush orchestration and wonderfully rich harmonies over a gentle, swaying rhythm track. **
4. (4:43) Cedar Lane – Lilting waltz. Piano. Brushes on drums. Wistful vocals that tend more toward the country side. Pedal steel integrated at points. ***
5. (4:04) Shattered & Hollow – Beautiful, sweet ballad begins by ruing loss, “I’d rather be shattered than hollow…” Evolves into a mid-tempo tune with pure high vocals over a simple drum beat. The sisters harmonize, “I’d rather be moving than static/I’d rather be by your side.” ****
6. (3:28) The Bell – Swinging, swaying country-folk with uplifting harmonies. Tune has an easy, head-nodding vibe. Flute throughout adds a nice touch.
7. (4:04) Waitress Song – Strumming guitar triplets supported by drums, with harmonies that rise and fall. Song about leaving heartbreak behind and rediscovering yourself on your own. “Girls just want to have fun/And the rest of us hardly know who we are.” Ghosts of a slide guitar in the distance. ***
8. (3:14) Fleeting One – Indie folk. Fingerpicked guitar and piano. Harmonies that reach lovely heights. ***
9. (3:18) Heaven Knows – Starts softly, then becomes a foot-stompin’ hoedown. Nice fiddle in lead break. Don’t forget your boots and hat!
10. (4:01) A Long Time Ago – Striking indie folk piano ballad. Spare vocals with harmonies blended in during the choruses. Strings are layered as well. Nice closer.
|1.||My Silver Lining||6.||The Bell|
|2.||Master Pretender||7.||Waitress Song|
|3.||Stay Gold||8.||Fleeting One|
|4.||Cedar Lane||9.||Heaven Knows|
|5.||Shattered & Hollow||10.||A Long Time Ago|