Originally from the Albanian Alps, Armand Margjeka is now a Birmingham, AL based musician. Folk/rock genre. Hard hitting drums, great guitar, and infectious melodies. This album, Hummingbird, is pretty great. It was produced with Darrell Thorp (Radiohead, Beck, Outkast, Gnarls Barkley), Chris Steffen (Stereophonics, Ben Harper) and Eric Masse (Escondido, Rayland Baxter).
Recommended Tracks: 2, 3, 5, 9
1. (3:59) Move Slow - Sweeping record distortion sounds, steady drums, infectious guitar melody. Off to a great start.
2. *** (3:47) Hummingbird - faster paced drum beat, mellow guitar strumming, slightly distorted whispery vocals.
3. ** (5:43) Ain't Me - More electronic drum sound, more complex production. Female backing vocals. This song feels like The National to me.
4. (3:07) Castles - More high register and falsetto vocals. Another great melody. Down tempo.
5. ** (2:50) Relief - This song is beautiful. Starts slow, builds a little toward the end. More female backing vocals.
6. (2:59) And Love - More jumpy and up tempo. Slightly echoey vocals.
7. (4:49) Baby Put On That Dress (We're Goin Out Tonight) - Very cool drum beat, and some deep notes on the piano keeping time. Deep and almost spoken word vocals.
8. (3:29) If - Another National-esq vocal.
9. *** (4:44) Wanted to See If You Were Ready - Love this one. Very pretty piano part and great guitar. This chorus gets stuck in my head.
10. (7:38) Hold On Paper Angel - Starts with just the piano, builds in with muffled vocals and drum machine. 3 minutes in there is a lull in the music, and it builds into a more droney track with distant whispy vocals.