|Miami Dolphins, The / "Becky"|
|Artist:||Miami Dolphins, The||Added:||07/2014|
|Label:||For Practically Everyone|
|Add Date:||2014-08-08||Pull Date:||2014-10-10|
|Week Ending:||12 Oct||5 Oct||28 Sep||7 Sep||31 Aug||24 Aug||17 Aug||10 Aug|
|1.||Mar 17, 2016:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [W16H] |
|4.||Dec 29, 2014:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand: Best of The Year 2014. Part 2! |
|2.||Jun 23, 2015:||ITYOTET: 1stHR-First Year Anniversary! 2ndHR-DJ Paws & Play Synth Set! |
|5.||Nov 18, 2014:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand: 1, 2, 3, 4!!!! |
|3.||Feb 24, 2015:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [W1507] |
|6.||Oct 09, 2014:||The Fishbowl |
Minneapolis’ The Miami Dolphins’ fourth recording, "Becky" – their first on CD and LP formats - continues their art-punk style with interesting results. The biggest surprise we find on "Becky" is the use of melody here and there in their brief and always unexpectedly constructed songs. Rather than drowning their sound with straightforward screams, guitar noise, and some other avant-garde trickery, The Dolphins decide to capitalize on Beth Bambery’s distinctive voice to build a slow-fast tension between the music and the vocals. Sometimes whispery and other times loud and incoherent, Bambery’s voice seems to have reached a comfort zone that makes the album feel open and exciting. The music is accompanied by wild and intriguing lyrics, including songs about freeways and aging. Noteworthy album. |
RIYL: PRE, Melt-Banana, Ex Models, Six Finger Satellite, Ponytail, and Thinking Fellers Union Local 282’s Mother of All Saints LP.
RECOMMENDED TRACKS: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 12
1. [1:27] Carcrash – Energetic intro ready to punk you.
2. [1:55] *Blender – Art Rock 101. It will make Melt-Banana proud.
3. [2:19] **Pucker Upper – The Sugarcubes’ influence here. Great track!
4. [1:49] **Free Way – 90’s American indie rock with a vengeance! Interesting vocals and catchy beat.
5. [1:34] *Cracked – Fast music, slow almost whispery vocals. Great tension.
6. [1:47] **Fools – Another fast-slow track with solid lyrics.
7. [2:59] Gut Rot – Ex Models’ energy here. Song ends at 1:44, silence then feedback noise.
8. [0:48] Dandelion – Noisy and brief.
9. [3:13] *Peeler – Several rhythms, whispers and a dude singing too. Cool!
10. [1:52] **Melting Popsicle – Melt-Banana’s influence here. Fast, weird and icy.
11. [1:42] Drooling – Surprisingly enjoyable vocals with lyrics that are totally nuts!
12. [1:48] **Dominion – Fast guitars, insane vocals, great track!
13. [4:10] Citrus – Noisy and energetic track. Song ends at 2:36, silence then an instrumental guitar-based composition completes the album. Yeah!
|4.||Free Way||10.||Melting Popsicle|