|Sohn / Tremors|
|Add Date:||2014-09-05||Pull Date:||2014-11-07|
|Week Ending:||9 Nov||2 Nov||26 Oct||19 Oct||21 Sep||7 Sep|
|1.||Apr 21, 2016:||All Passion No Technique |
|4.||Nov 06, 2014:||Meow |
|2.||Feb 17, 2015:||Radio Personality |
|5.||Nov 05, 2014:||Narnia |
|3.||Nov 12, 2014:||Radio Personality |
|6.||Nov 05, 2014:||A-philiac |
Tremors, Lessons, The Wheel
Genre: indie-pop, r&b, how to dress pretty well|
Sometime between 2010 and the present day r&b crept its way into the outer fringes of music. The English, but currently Austria-based producer, Sohn fits into this growing trend. His work matches emotive vocals with twinkling synths. Yet, more than just a rehash of mainstream pop music, Sohn’s production takes some interesting twists and turns. He incorporates ambient landscapes and nimble percussion that veers away from 4/4 simplicity into his compositions. Super solid album, not a bad track on here. Favorites: 1, 2, 4, 9, 10. No FCCs.
Others: James Blake, Son Lux, Autre Ne Veut, How To Dress Well, Rhye, FKA Twigs
1. (3:31) ** Auto-tuned overlapping vocal snippets. Soulful male vox. Halfway through a nice subtly complex beat comes in.
2. (3:53) *** Super catchy vocal sample backdrop. Awesome stick-on-stick percussion. Atmospheric bridge.
3. (3:18) * Immediate beginning with a more dancey vibe and clever percussion. Pop done interesting.
4. (4:21) ** Mellower feel. Heartbreaking without being overly sentimental. Big finish.
5. (4:26) * Droney synths and a detailed skittering beat. Soulful male vox enter. Gorgeous.
6. (2:54) Stark piano and a dark electronic backdrop. Slightly grim lyrics. A touching ballad
7. (3:36) * Heavier bass-y synths. Slowly more layers get added to the mix.
8. (4:30) * Playful round synth melody. Uptempo. Calm ending.
9. (3:56) ** Direct soulful vocals. Syncopated beat with a few well placed blasts of noise. A little reminiscent of The Knife.
10. (3:21) *** Bright repeating synth line and vocal sample. Definite highlight on the album. Ends with a triumphant stomp.
11. (3:30) ** More of the same. Handclap percussion. Totally immersive, beautiful production