|El May / Other Person Is You, The|
|Album:||Other Person Is You, The||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2014-09-19||Pull Date:||2014-11-21|
|Week Ending:||23 Nov||16 Nov||9 Nov||2 Nov||5 Oct||28 Sep|
|1.||Nov 20, 2014:||Meow |
My Policeman's An Addict
|4.||Nov 04, 2014:||Cladio Rub |
Took It On The Mouth
|2.||Nov 13, 2014:||Meow |
|5.||Oct 31, 2014:||Time Traveler |
|3.||Nov 06, 2014:||ZoeRadio |
Took It On The Mouth
|6.||Oct 30, 2014:||ZoeRadio |
For The Doctor
Indie rock / Folk rock. El May is the stage name of multi-instrumentalist Lara Meyerratken. She is originally from Australia and known as a set musician for bands like Nada Surf, Luna, Luscious Jackson, etc. She is also known for her work composing music in commercials and short films. Her music is poppy and well constructed; there are often 8 or so instruments without getting too overwhelming. It is also accessible with introspective lyrics. She recorded most of the songs at home and wrote, arranged, and produced every track. RIYL: Rilo Kiley, much like Jenny Lewis’s solo work, Beck. FCC Clean|
1. (3:45) **Bass line and calm female vocals. Drums, soft electric guitar. Very chill.
2. (2:46) *Poppy drums with a little western surf
3. (3:41) Electronic beat, sing/talk vocals, steal drums, happy instrumentals, something of a nostalgic but independent and introspective song.
4. (4:10) Poppy upbeat song, simple and nice. “All of your diamonds girl” is the hook.
5. (2:43) *Poppy, happy clap beat with a little western feel from the guitar.
6. (4:36) **Organ with electronic dance beat, throaty vocals, soft and poppy. Piano, various percussion, e.g. shakers, drum set, another drum of sorts, slide guitar
7. (4:03) **”I’ll let it go”, like track 6, has many instruments without getting overwhelming. Pop and accessible reminds me a little of beck. Interesting song.
8. (3:56) **Slow and dreamy. Least accessible song so far. Picks up, synth, acoustic guitar, steady bass drum, about the lyrics.
9. (2:32) **Acoustic picking, folky, second guitar strums quietly in background, “You’re alright, you’re safe you’re warm” Great song.
10. (4:30) *Electronic intro, piano and strings section (cello, violin), constant bass beat in background, pretty song. At ¾ way through, transitions to clap beat with vocal chant and back up vocals. Becomes rock anthem…
|1.||Took It On The Mouth||6.||Thrills|
|2.||Lessons Appear||7.||My Policeman's An Addict|
|3.||I Played A Role||8.||Diagnosis|
|4.||Diamonds, Girl||9.||For The Doctor|
|11.||Oh, Get Carried|