|Adult Jazz / Gist Is|
|Add Date:||2014-10-03||Pull Date:||2014-12-05|
|Week Ending:||7 Dec||23 Nov||16 Nov||9 Nov||2 Nov||26 Oct||19 Oct||12 Oct|
|1.||Thu, 16 Aug 18:||Sam I Am|
|4.||Tue, 22 Aug 17:||Sam I Am|
|2.||Thu, 02 Aug 18:||Sam I Am|
|5.||Thu, 08 Jun 17:||dog|
night tapes #7
|3.||Thu, 26 Jul 18:||Sam I Am|
|6.||Mon, 31 Oct 16:||DJ Aporia|
Genre: indie rock, not very adult, definitely not jazz|
Debut album of left-field indie rock from this young Leeds band. Although they sound like modern Pitchfork darlings like Dirty Projectors, Tune-Yards, and Animal Collective, Adult Jazz separate themselves through deeply personal lyrics and unique song structures. Never in my life have I heard an album so in love with language, an album that spends equal time quoting John Donne and yelping nonsensical ululations. We’re only in October, but I think this may be my album of the year. No FCCs. Male vocals throughout.
Favorites: ALL. Seriously. But if I have to choose one then 6
1. (7:33)** Starts quiet with a low organ hum and gentle vocals. Woodwind elements. Awesome transition ~3:30 and becomes almost funk groove with curdled bass synth before another left turn as it reaches a more upbeat horn-laden finish.
2. (4:54)**** Joyous nonsense vocals with a start and stop beat. The one-two punch of this track and the next hits me every time. Play together loudly and often.
3. (5:12)**** Soaring vocals and simple drums. Introduces a gorgeous guitar melody. Midway through has a little electronic reversed breakdown before zig-zagging to a cathartic finale.
4. (5:41)*** High pitched vocals. Noisiest song on here with clattering drums and distorted guitar parts. The transition around 3:15 is endlessly replayable.
5. (4:59)* Super gorgeous acoustic track. Most stripped back track on the album.
6. (9:46)***** Track of the year. Starts with stark piano and distant vocals but goes through multiple phases and builds to an immense finish. Sit down and read the lyrics in your spare time; it’s worth it.
7. (4:21)*** Hand clap percussion, crazy guitar bits, some dabbling in electronics. Not as structurally interesting as some of the other tracks but one of the most immediate.
8. (2:30)* Quirky little track. Probably the truest stylistically to their band name (adult jazz).
9. (6:27)** Emotional multi-phase track about dogs. Great closer to an outstanding album.
|4.||Donne Tongue||8.||Be A Girl|