|Flying Lotus / You're Dead!|
|Add Date:||2014-10-10||Pull Date:||2014-12-12||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||14 Dec||7 Dec||30 Nov||23 Nov||16 Nov||9 Nov||2 Nov||26 Oct|
|1.||Thu, 21 Nov 19:||Timothy|
|4.||Thu, 01 Mar 18:||DJ Teddy Tesla & DJ Farad|
Lucid Lightning: Power Hour
|2.||Sun, 21 Apr 19:||Otterpop|
|5.||Mon, 07 Aug 17:||The Charter Boys|
A Night on the Roof
|3.||Thu, 22 Mar 18:||Sophie|
|6.||Thu, 06 Jul 17:||agent scully|
Genre: FlyLo’s Inferno, jazz, nintendo64, adult swim|
Crazy jazz adventure to the afterlife from one of the most consistent producers out there. Seriously awesome stuff. Harkens back to spacey jazz of “Cosmogramma”. Lots of short tracks so probably wise to play them together (I tried to organize it into general suites that have a similar feel). Overall just a must hear album for 2014. Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 17, 18, 19
Others: Dante Alighieri, Thundercat
1. (1:24)** Bells, strings, chaotic…almost like an orchestra tuning up. Video game + jazzy FlyLo mode
2. (1:55)*** Fast paced snare brushes with complicated bass and some luxurious keyboard melodies
3. (1:34) ** Immediately noisier and busier with wild drumming. Saxophone finish
4. (0:40) Short almost like the opening to a 70’s cop show but maybe that’s just me. Good intro to track 5
5. (3:55) **** CLEAN edit. Gorgeous gorgeous piano melody and a killer FlyLo beat. Kendrick Lamar guest stars and he just lets loose on this one.
6. (2:26) FCC questionable (drug language, shit). Featuring Snoop Dogg and Captain Murphy. Half-spoken lyrics and ominous feel with dense environmental samples (laughter/voices/gunshots). Snoop gets in some nice wordplay at the end.
7. (3:10) *** Pounding, dense, absorbing. Nice calm middle section. Returns with sax and virtuoso drumming. Great track
8. (0:31) Interlude track
9. (2:40) *** Vinyl crackle, and distant cooing voices. Totally otherworldly cosmic FlyLo at his best. Fantastic vocals
10. (2:38) ** Features Angel Dedoordian formerly of Dirty Projectors. Heavenly vocalizations.
11. (2:07) ** Feels more like his first LP Los Angeles with its deep hand percussion and chime flourishes.
12. (1:46) Kind of static instrumental. Filler more than anything else but still interesting
13. (1:13) * Heavy beat and shouted vocal samples nice little track and works well with the next one
14. (2:18) *** Features keyboard legend Herbie Hancock. Busy instrumental with fantastic musicianship all around. Super jazzy. Nice little drum breakdown at the end.
15. (1:27) Cinematic strings. Features Thundercat but not his most interesting vocal contribution on a Flying Lotus album. Definitely ominous and good to set the mood though
16. (1:51) ** Drugged up vocals from Captain Murphy (FlyLo rap alter ego). About the late Austin Peralta who died unexpectedly last year. Nightmareish and obsessive.
17. (2:56) * String flourishes and woozy synths. Transportive.
18. (1:46) * Beautiful female vocals. Heavier beat midway through.
19. (1:58) * Group vocals chant “we will live on forever and ever”. Gains momentum and positivity with a beat reminiscent of “Getting There” off his last LP. Wow. This album is such a journey.