Second full length release from Loisville, KT folk singer Joan Shelley. I was blown away by this album. It is simple and beautiful. This woman has an unbelievable voice that makes this record impossible for me to put down. RIYL: Sharon Van Etten, Kurt Vile, Joanie Mitchell, Shelby Lynne, Allison Krauss.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 5, 8
1. (4:50) Something Small - There is a richness to this song and a real story is being told. Love this one, such a strong start to this album.
2. (3:04) Rising Air - This one feels more twangy on the guitar. Down tempo waltz. Gorgeous.
3. (5:08) First Of August - Piano, brushes on the snare, organ notes, and of course that voice. Down tempo.
4. (3:32) River Low - Faster paced, reminds me a lot of Allison Krauss. Guitar and vocals only.
5. (2:35) Remedios - Acoustic track, banjos and ooo-ing. So so pretty.
6. (4:15) Long Way To Night - Down tempo shuffle on the drums, beautiful guitar, and a Joanie-esq vocal.
7. (4:16) Moss & Marrow - Another guitar/vox only track.
8. (4:54) Electric Ursa - This really could be a Joanie Mitchell song, holy cow. Love love this one.