|Bazan, David And Passanger String Quartet / Volume 1|
|Add Date:||2015-02-13|| ||Pull Date:||2015-04-17|| |
|Week Ending:||19 Apr||22 Mar||15 Mar||8 Mar||1 Mar||22 Feb|
Indie rock. For lovers of Pedro the Lion. Volume 1 is basically a Pedro the Lion greatest hits album with all of the songs reworked to include a four string quartet (two violins, one viola, and cello) accompaniment to Bazan on electric guitar. Imagine Pedro songs stripped of the band and all instrumentals replaced with strings. Sadly the quartet sounds a little too stiff and technical for Bazan. It feels busy, which detracts from the rawness and emotion of the original cuts. Another downside, is that his vocals sound better on the originals because Bazans imperfections are masked by loads of feedback and poor production quality. I have mixed feelings about this recording. The problem is, I loved the originals too much to let it float off into the ether without even a little airplay. And having seen Bazan + The Passenger Quartet live at the Independent, I can without a doubt say the recording is not doing them justice. Oh well, some of the tracks are pretty good, check what I starred. RIYL: Pedro the Lion, Pavement, Red House Painters, Headphones, Rainer Maria, Cursive, The Mountain Goats. FCC clean. Try 4, 5, 6.
1. (3:48) Bands with managers. ** Opener to Achilles Heel. More dramatic and colorful than the original.
2. (3:16) How I remember. * Original is great. Feels like skill of quartet is more than this song needs. The original is more raw.
3. (4:04) Wolves at the door. FCC Maybe, Says “Goddamn fool”. ** Mellow and nice. Simple. Electric guitar, vocals, and string quartet. The composition works well for this one.
4. (4:20) The fleecing. *** Love it. The original was perfect and this one is great too
5. (3:59) I do. *** Again, love it. The quartet is so pretty. Plucked violin and strong cello presence. Lyrics are great. Production is a little unclean, but it doesn’t detract from the quality of the song.
6. (2:27) When they really get to know you they will run. *** Great song. “Put on whatever makes you attractive, if it’s not you, then do it for the sake of fashion. Your friends like a certain you, then that’s who you’ve got to be.” Clean, almost all quartet with Bazan’s vocals.
7. (3:54) Lost my shape. ** Quartet and midi board. Pretty. Great lyrics.
8. (3:42) Cold beer and cigarettes.* Pretty song. The strings are almost too much.
9. (4:20) Priests and paramedics. *Piano and vocals, no guitar. Classic from Control. Loved the original. This version is okay.
10. (6:02) Strange negotiations. Acoustic with strings. Strings are a little too busy. Sounds okay.