|Hayes, Liam / Slurrup|
|Artist:||Hayes, Liam||Added:||Feb 2015|
|Label:||Fat Possum Records|
|Add Date:||2015-02-06||Pull Date:||2015-04-10|
|Week Ending:||Apr 12||Apr 5||Mar 22||Mar 15||Mar 8||Mar 1||Feb 22||Feb 15|
|1.||Apr 06, 2015:||Shytown |
|4.||Mar 17, 2015:||Setting Fire to the Lab |
|2.||Apr 04, 2015:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|5.||Mar 14, 2015:||Freshmen Phenomenon |
Keys To Heaven, Greenfield, Fokus
|3.||Apr 02, 2015:||A Visit From Drum |
|6.||Mar 13, 2015:||Distractions |
Genre: fun, bouncy rock n’ roll|
Tight, short, energetic pop songs with some weird studio effects to keep you on your toes. Super fun…can imagine this being a hit at KZSU. Liam Hayes has been around for awhile making ornate pop music but this is definitely a more stripped down affair.
Others: The Shins, Foxygen, early of Montreal
Favorites: 6, 10, 9, 11, 1, 2, 3…take your pick each song has a pretty similar feel. No FCCs.
1. (1:33) ** Fast. Cutesy studio banter start. Turns into messy jangle pop. Ends cold
2. (1:44) ** Fast. Groovy. Upfront repetitive vocals. Guitar effects up the wazoo. Nice little cowbell breakdown.
3. (2:32) Mid. Spunky keyboard. Fun, retro.
4. (1:53) Mid. Similar vibe to the other songs, but a little more toned down.
5. (0:24) Spaced out and wacky interlude. I actually like this a lot…kind of wish it was longer. Cool intro to next song.
6. (2:17) **** Fast. Ultra-catchy with falsetto vox that hit you right in the sweet spot.
7. (3:36) Slow. Sort of an alt-country vibe to this. Pretty stuff.
8. (4:09) ** Mid. Upbeat. More lyrically driven than most of the other tracks. Sweet piano flourishes. False ending.
9. (2:37) Mid. “It’s going to be a long, long day baby”.
10. (2:54) *** Slow, hazy. Cool field recordings. Whoa…did he suddenly go ambient on us. Sounds like a cassette recording of a carnival at the beach? Ends with lots of laughter. Be brave. Play this track. Super cool lead in to next track.
11. (2:49) *** Awwya big crunchy guitar chords. More of a psych-rock feel to this.
12. (3:22) Mid. Sweet, gooey pop. I imagine hearing this in a Wes Anderson movie a decade from now. The drummer loves that ride cymbal.
13. (3:24) Mid. Rawer vocals. Uhhh I’m running out of words to describe this music. Last ~40 seconds sounds like someone vigorously slurping water.
|2.||One Way Out||8.||Keys To Heaven|
|3.||Nothing Wrong||9.||Long Day|
|4.||Get It Right||10.||Channel 44|
|5.||Theme From Mindball||11.||Outhouse|
|13.||Fight Magic With Magic|